MLB, NFL , Fox sports – payout averages

Home Forums General Questions MLB, NFL , Fox sports – payout averages

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    LionWings
    Participant

Hi, This is my second year in this business. I’ve started getting a lot of placements on sports channels, but haven’t seen the royalties. Background interviews, highlight reels, etc. I’m wondering how well these payout. Pennies? decent dollars? Anyone can comment on their experience? Thank you

#36052 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Typically, there aren’t any royalties from the sports channels. At least from ASCAP. All to do with the dreaded survey. There’s a topic here on MLR somewhere that discusses this in depth…

#36054 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m wondering how well these payout. Pennies? decent dollars? Anyone can comment on their experience?

BMI last payout. FOX Sports pays decently. One recently was 1:14 high school football $146.00. The other FOX sports channels pay far less – 1:14 = $0.36. Fox Sports 1 – 1:44 = $10.32. Also get paid for Direct TV sports and NBA TV – 0:53 = $7.38.

#36055 Reply
    johnnyboy
    Participant

I agree with Michael! ASCAP’s survey is so unfair. I’ve lost royalties on hundreds of shows because the survey didn’t catch them. And all the cue sheets were filled out properly and timely. Bummer!

#36062 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

then vote with your feet and resign your catelog to BMI instead. then you’ll get paid. the window is currently open until the end of the year so do yourself a favor and get on it immediately.

#36063 Reply
    johnnyboy
    Participant

I’m sure BMI & ASCAP both have their flaws. The debate between ASCAP & BMI goes on…

John 🙂

#36064 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

other than BMI not providing cue sheets to our accounts i have zero other issues with them. curious to hear other composers problems with BMI in the name of balance as i dont want to be labelled an ASCAP basher unfairly 🙂

#36069 Reply
    johnnyboy
    Participant

Well, I think the very least they can do is honor cue sheets when they receive them. On the smaller networks ASCAP’s survey only captures several hours of viewing per quarter. So a lot is missed. Majot Networks get surveyed 24/7.

#36067 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

I’m sure BMI & ASCAP both have their flaws. The debate between ASCAP & BMI goes on…

Absolutely. I have so many gripes with BMI I can’t list them. Not going to air it out in public. Bottom line, I’ve often thought about moving to ASCAP. But I know things are just as bad there.

We need a PRO for production music composers. if we could do that, BMI and ASCAP would be gutted and virtually ineffective. Instead, they treat production music composers like the poor b*****d stepchildren of the music industry. While we keep the rest of composers in business…..

off my soap box now.

#36070 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@LAwriter. FYI, profanity will end up in the moderation cue every time. Just me being old fashion I guess. 🙂

#36071 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

@LAwriter. FYI, profanity will end up in the moderation cue every time. Just me being old fashion I guess. ?

Really? I remember no profanity Art. Of course, I was talking about BMI, so it may be possible.

#36072 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I remember no profanity Art. Of course, I was talking about BMI, so it may be possible.

Ha, ha, ha. See your edited reply. 😉

#36073 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Really? Is that common phrase considered “profanity”? Poor *****rd stepchild?

Websters defines *****rd as ” an illegitimate child. ” – which was exactly my intended useage – and exactly how BMI treats production music composers. Didn’t use it in a profane way IMO. PS – sorry for the derailment.

#36074 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Really? Is that common phrase considered “profanity”? Poor *****rd stepchild?

The spam tools I use have a black list of words so a seemingly innocent use of a word will flag it.

#36076 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I’m with ASCAP. Network games pay ok depending on the audience. If it’s a regional game (most are) then the payout is small – most lines will be in single dollar amounts. If it’s nationally televised (world series etc) the per minute rate can be similar to top tier network – like up to $240 a minute.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Reply #36070 in MLB, NFL , Fox sports – payout averages
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us