Moby Faces Copyright Suit For 22-Year-Old Samples

Home Forums Commentary Moby Faces Copyright Suit For 22-Year-Old Samples

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Moby Faces Copyright Suit For 22-Year-Old Samples

Moby would like all music to be free. Easy for him to say. I wonder what his PRO statements look like?

#15526 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump

#15527 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

Lol,Moby’s “Play” album was the first ever to have all of it’s tracks licensed to film,ads,etc.I would also like to see his PRO statement!

#15529 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

It looks as if Electronic composer Moby already has a site where people can license music for independent films for free. This is kind of cool.

http://www.mobygratis.com

#15535 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@DI: Maybe Moby should donate all his past and future PRO payments to charity. Seems a bit hypocritical to me. Then again I know nothing about his life.

#15538 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Do you think he’d mind if we stopped by his tea shop / cafe in NYC
    and had some free food?

http://www.teanynewyork.com

#15539 Reply
    Redster
    Participant

Anyone using any sample should have to pay. I mean, Eddie Money, for the use of Ronnie Spector’s voice/track, “Be My, Baby” in his “Take Me Home Tonight” from the 1980s certainly did. In today’s mash-ups, though, I defy even the most hardened musicologist to ascertain 100% what tracks/songs are being used.

Now, from what I’ve read, Moby advocates that artists make SOME of their music available for free downloads and use (as he has) — in response to the crazy RIAA that has gone after college students with a vengeance… while many bulk copyright infringers go off scot-free. I mean, suing a college kid downloading tracks for his listening pleasure and fining him $250K is ludicrous. Sure, there should be some sort of penalty for an illegal download, even if it is for personal use, but the RIAA has their priorities skewed and keeps going after the little fish, letting the big ones float around with impunity.

If Moby did, indeed, use samples without permission, though, he should have to pay.

What troubles me about the Madonna case the article references is that a judge ruled that “no reasonable audience would find the sampled portions qualitatively or quantitatively significant in relation to the infringing work.” Bad form, and glad the decision is being appealed.

In my book, it doesn’t matter how much of a work is used… if it’s not YOURS, you need to pay, or get permission, or at the very least — if you’re unable to find or contact the rights holder(s) — acknowledge the original source material with some sort of “lemme know if you’re out there” on your liner notes. 😉 (And, then, hold some money to the side in an escrow account to show good faith in the event the rights holder eventually surfaces — this can often circumvent any litigation because you’ve shown “due diligence” in attempting to find the rights holder[s], and no reasonable “intent to defraud” can be levied.)

#15536 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Maybe Moby should donate all his past and future PRO payments to charity.

The D.I.N.E. organization would be an ideal recipient of any royalties Moby wants to donate.

D.I.N.E. = Desire Inspires Needs Everything. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Moby Faces Copyright Suit For 22-Year-Old Samples
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us