Monitor suggestions

Home Forums Hardware Monitor suggestions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    euca
    Participant

I’m in the market for a new set of monitors. I have been doing some research on different models and have checked out a few, just a few. Most of the music stores around me only have a couple of options to test out.

What type of monitors are you using? I have read a lot of good reviews on the Focal cms 65’s, anyone using them?

#8985 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m using the Mackie HR824mk2. I think I liked the older ones a bit better but mine got trashed so went for these. As important, if not more, is getting your room tuned as best you can. I use Real Traps and a DBX Drive Rack Studio to “pink” and EQ the room.

#8991 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I use the Mackie HR824 (the old ones) and a Tannoy 10″ subwoofer.  I’ve got Auralex panels around the room, and Auralex traps in the corners.  I have four Russ Berger Soundcouplers mounted over the mix area.

However…when we move, I will put Real Traps in my new studio. They were highly recommended to me by a friend, who is a multi-platinum / Grammy winning engineer, with golden ears.

#9016 Reply
    euca

Thanks guys. Yes, tuning the room is very important, I agree. I am planning on upgrading both my room treatment and the monitors at the same time.

My current monitors are smaller, 5″ woofer, I wanted to upgrade to something a little larger and I think with doing that I should upgrade the treatment as well.

#9018 Reply
    Wildman

I recommend Klein&Hummel. The best monitors I know but not very cheap. For a middle price you`ll get “Adam” speakers, also very nice….

#9019 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

http://www.focalprofessional.com/en/72-cms

for mid priced the best I have heard. Loads of choice as you pay more

#9020 Reply
    euca

Thanks wildman, I would love Klein&Hummel, just too rich for me right now!!

Denis, do you use the focal cms? More and more I am leaning towards that line.

#9021 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Denis, do you use the focal cms? More and more I am leaning towards that line.

euca, No I dont, a few of my colleagues use them and for mid range monitors they are superb. I have HHB Circle 5 which I just know the sound of and are similar  . I would replace them with Focal CMS 50’s in a flash.They are very accurate and don’t flatter.

Room treatment is important, but the Focals aren’t  huge so they sound decent in most rooms (unless its really bad). If you work in a smallish untreated  room with big monitors, you have to turn them up to get an accurate frequency response. This, in an untreated room will skew the balance.

The Focals sound good at low volumes with an even frequency dispersion and great stereo image. Perfect of the home studio. IMO. The mid sized Adams are very good also.

Personally I cant stand the mid sized Genelecs, the metal tweeters are really fatiguing and unnatural for me.

#9027 Reply
    DMCPRODUCTIONS
    Participant

Hi,

I use Focal cmc50’s and I think they are outstanding.  My mixes translate very well.  The mid range clarity is the thing that really sets these monitors apart from all the others I listened to in the price range.

Good luck! D.

#9043 Reply
    euca
    Participant

Thanks Denis and Dmc!! I’ll have to check them out, they seem like just what I am looking for.

I usually mix at low volumes, better mixes for me and helps my ears to last longer.

#9064 Reply
    Erik
    Participant

I like the KRK VXT8 for the price.

#14125 Reply
    Mesa Sand Music
    Participant

As others have said, the #1 issue is not your monitors, but your room. My current studio/bedroom has horrible insulation, so I have to mix between school buses and street sweepers! But the main issue has to do with unwanted reflections in the mix position. You don’t have to cover the entire room in acoustic foam, just focus on the reflections off side walls, the back wall and the ceiling. More absorption than that is a personal choice.

The next most important part of the monitors is position. If you’re in a personal studio (read: extra bedroom), then your monitors will be set up as near-field monitors. Then the position – height, angle, distance between them, etc. – also makes a huge difference. There are plenty of articles on it, but the first basic idea is an equilateral triangle – the monitors the same distance apart as each one is from the prime mix position.

As an example, I used a set of RadioShack Minimus 7s in one studio – about $50 a pair at the time – and I loved them. But the room was well tuned, so they worked well. Get the room and position right, and the type and size of your monitors will be less important.

#14131 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

Another vote for the focal monitors. A friend of mine is using them in a totally untreated bedromstudio, and his mixes are superb! They sound really good and I might just buy a set of these myself.

#14133 Reply
    jesse shobbrook

im useing adam a5x they do larger a7x models too if you need good base response .sound is very clear and you can ajust bass levels to suit your room size. there good value for money

#14212 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Hi Michael, I’ve been looking into HR824’s for my new setup (should it happen). I want to ask you – why the subwoofer? Those go down to 37Hz and my research is showing low end response is good, no sub needed. I use a sub in my current setup, but my monitors only go down to 45Hz.

I also currently use aurlex (2″ and corner bass traps) but will look at Real Traps, noting your recommendation!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Monitor suggestions
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us