More Placements = No Originality?

Home Forums Commentary More Placements = No Originality?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Does it make sense to be original or copy?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/bUF2jN8d-ME

#12766 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

bump

#12767 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

I try to combine both… Main stream enough to have a chart-like sound, but original enough also so that my touch is recognizable.

#12768 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

I´m watching this guys´ vids. Interesting thoughts that makes us all scratch our heads. Thx DI for the link.

#12769 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

In our end of the business we follow trends, we don’t create them. That’s just common sense, it’s not blatantly copying something. Our marketplace dictates that. What he is saying in the vid is nothing new and has been the state of play for decades.

#12770 Reply
    Jack

Depends on the library.. I have been told to go nuts and do whatever i want (within reason) and really push the limits. Often this happens with new labels trying to break into the market. And to this day those tracks are the most profitable and enjoyable library music i have made. It most certainly doesn’t sound like wants in vogue atm.

#12777 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Over simplified.

#12782 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Good Production + good writing + catchy sound + live, really good players performing on the tracks (especially for pop and rock stuff) = lots of placements. It’s that simple.

I know we can place synth/ midi based tracks, and I have, but more often than not the formula above pays the most dividends!

#12796 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

@Dave

I’m sure it can pay more but a lot of live players would also highly increase the costs of a track. In some libraries I’m sure it is worth it but I also know quite a few where this is not the case, so this will also depend on which libraries one is working with.

#12800 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

Dave:
    So how do you pay your players? Do they get a cut, or do you have enough of a budget to finance it yourself and still make money?

#12801 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@Gary

Yes I do pay for “sidemen” (both out of pocket and with budget dollars) and I do perform as much “live” instrumentation as I can handle.

Regarding budget, it is always nice to have a budget to pay live performers, but even if there is no budget, and I believe in the piece enough and know that a live “human feel” will take the piece to a higher place, I simply will invest my own money to get the track to sound the way I envision and intended for it to sound.

#12802 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Regarding budget, it is always nice to have a budget to pay live performers, but even if there is no budget, and I believe in the piece enough and know that a live “human feel” will take the piece to a higher place, I simply will invest my own money to get the track to sound the way I envision and intended for it to sound.

Good man, Dave!

I see far too many musicians, producers, and engineers collaborating with people and then trying to cheat them out of money. No one should be working for free or for exposure. Paying for quality work is only fair.

#12807 Reply
    soundslikejoe
    Participant

You could just as easily say “Higher on Billboard Charts = No Originality”

There is nothing new under the sun. If you are truly “original” in the vast world of music, you will be outcast today and revered 20 years from now.

Bhaah… I’ll take placements over originality any day. This is my job though… not some egotistical hobby.

#12821 Reply
    andrej
    Participant

I think you can be creative and original writing simple music, as analogy I could use example of writing , you can write lots of fancy words,long fancy cliche sentences and not say nothing, on the other hand if you have a good idea or content ,simple words can do the job.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: More Placements = No Originality?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us