Movie trailer/teaser placements on TV – any experience of payments?

Home Forums General Questions Movie trailer/teaser placements on TV – any experience of payments?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rich
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with movie trailer/teaser placements. Specifically a teaser used to promote a film coming to a home box office/ TV channel. It’s being shown in between current films like Batman vs Superman etc. and being played about 2-3 times per day.

It’s my favorite placement I’ve had so far in terms of the usage, but just wondered if anyone had some experience of what sort of royalties to expect and if they normally carry a sync fee or not? The contract states any sync fees are paid within 60 days so I won’t know for a fair while either way.

Any help appreciated

#26399 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

There’s usually a sync fee for TV spots, even for HBO. If not, the library involved is really low balling and hurting the business at large.

Royalties are a bit tricky with trailers / TV spots. They have to be treated the same as advertising, which involves submitting paperwork to the PROs.

If it’s on HBO on any other premium cable channel, the royalties probably won’t be worth the effort – the rates there are ridiculously low.

On the other hand, promos on network TV (like music behind “coming up tonight on Jimmy Kimmel”) pay out great royalties. Those are definitely worth chasing up on.

#26414 Reply
    sniper22b

Thanks Mark, much appreciated. Fingers crossed there is a sync then.

#27211 Reply
    Lincoman
    Participant

Hi – just adding on to this….

I have a teaser trailer running on ShowTime right now that tunesat is detecting. It’s run about 6 times in the last day or so. A track of mine is being used on a trailer for the new show Guerilla airing this week.

Should I expect any royalties from this? I guess I’m asking the same question over again…

Anybody have this kind of thing with ShowTime??

#27213 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Anybody have this kind of thing with ShowTime??

I had quite a few show up on Tunesat for ShowTime East, 3rd quarter 2016, that should have been paid in the last BMI payout. Just e-mailed BMI and they are checking on it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #27213 in Movie trailer/teaser placements on TV – any experience of payments?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us