Movies about music

Home Forums Off Topic Posts Movies about music

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    GM
    Participant

Hey,
    I know it’s sort of off topic, but I thought it might be fun to share opinions and ideas about movies related to the music industry – not musicals, necessarily, but movies where the music business / industry / environment is somehow relevant. I’ll start with three that I’ve seen recently and somehow enjoyed:

– BEGIN AGAIN: simple movie, sweet and light, the song “Lost Stars” by Gregg Alexander is a masterpiece, in my book. Worth watching.

– DANNY COLLINS: well, anything with Pacino is worth watching, in my opinion. Funny to see him perform (well, sort of …) as a singer. Good movie though. A bit cliché, but you know, it’s hard to write something really new.

– RUDDERLESS: I have a soft spot for this one, cause a friend of mine plays one of the characters. But I think it’s actually a good movie, and I really liked some of the songs.

Anybody wants to add more? (old or new, it’s all good)

#22849 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

THE WRECKING CREW – A film about a little-known group of L.A. studio musicians who contributed to hundreds of chart-topping singles.

I wasn’t part of The Wrecking Crew but was lucky enough to work on sessions with just about all of them. An amazing bunch!

MUSCLE SHOALS – Filmmaker Greg Camalier pays tribute to an Alabama city that holds a prominent place in music history. Artists who recorded at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Ala., include Percy Sledge, Aretha Franklin and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

And really loved DANNY COLLINS, a must see!

#22851 Reply
    euca

Sound City – Directed by Dave Grohl

That Thing You Do – Written and directed by Tom Hanks.
    Silly, goofy movie about a 1960’s one hit wonder from Erie, Pa.
    Good rainy day movie.

#22852 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Sound City – Directed by Dave Grohl

Another great one and one of my old stomping grounds in the 70s.

#22853 Reply
    GM
    Participant

Sound City – great, great film!

#22855 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Sound City was a great documentary, very cool Art that you used to hang there. Dave Grohl owns their console now, which Nirvana recored their NeverMind (think that was the one) LBUM on. Dave Grohl was the then drummer for Nirvana.

#22856 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

very cool Art that you used to hang there.

Yep, did a lot of sessions there. Joe Gottfried and Tom Skeeter were great guys. Keith (Olsen) was engineering, had yet made his mark as a producer and Duane Scott was second. Even met a girlfriend there (now an ex) and we are friends to this day.

#22858 Reply
    euca

Art, very cool!

Kevin Augunas bought the building and re-named it Fairfax. He cleaned it up and now it looks very bright and cheery. But the sound is still there.

Pensados Place did a 2 part walk through video of the studio, it’s pretty cool. Just search Fairfax on Pensados web site.

#22863 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

How about The Holiday? Jack Black’s character is a trailer music composer.

#39691 Reply
    Mahavites
    Participant

Inside Llewyn Davis is an excellent movie about the Greenwich Village folk music scene in the 1960s. I wanted to love it when I first saw it but it didn’t quite land for me at first. I’m not one who tends to rewatch movies but I was so enamored that I’ve seen it twice more since then and have really grown to appreciate it. It’s not a “fun” movie but it feels more true to life than it does Hollywood. The visuals, acting, (and most importantly) music are fantastic.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Reply #22863 in Movies about music
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us