Moving to ASCAP, BMI in 2019

Home Forums PROs Moving to ASCAP, BMI in 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Wall_E
    Participant

Hi everybody!

So…I was pondering over moving to ASCAP or BMI, coming from SIAE (Italy).
    Do you still find this mandatory in 2019 in order to pursue this career? Especially from the point of view of music supervisors working in big big libraries.

I’d like to know your opinion on this.

#32694 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I’d like to know your opinion on this.

Only an “opinion” and not meaning to be demeaning.

“I personally”, would choose BMI

#32696 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

ditto for BMI.

#32699 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I switched to BMI after being with ASCAP for 30 years, on the advice of a respected library owner.

#32703 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

i’m not sure if PRO’s have strategies but u really get the sense that ASCAP has abandoned the production music composer in favor of the traditional artist. BMI seem to be way more media composer friendly from what i can see so far having been with both.

#32704 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

i’m not sure if PRO’s have strategies but u really get the sense that ASCAP has abandoned the production music composer in favor of the traditional artist.

Hi Danny, I don’t think there’s a conscious strategy or that ASCAP “abandoned” production music composers. The explanation that I’ve been given is that it goes back to the history of each organization. ASCAP was founded by composers and songwriters (Victor Herbert) and BMI was founded by the National Association of Broadcasters.

#32705 Reply
    LAwriter

BMI is racing towards the unknown “artist” side of things. Courting songwriters, young artists, hip indie singer/songwriters, etc.. It’s incredibly obvious if you do your homework.

From my perspective of watching royalties, talking with other composers, publishers, and even speaking with the powers that be in LA, they could give a **** about media composers – unless you’re a top A level film composer.

I’m not sure where the best place to go is. The only real solution I see – and it’s highly unlikely – is a new stand along production music composer PRO. That would / could get some serious action going, but again, unlikely.

#32706 Reply
    LAwriter

PS – in the past I would have agreed – BMI. Bun unfortunately, no longer…..

#32708 Reply
    Wall_E
    Participant

I really appreciate your feedbacks but, actually, this wasn’t meant to be a post about “ASCAP or BMI”.

My question was about this: is moving to ASCAP or BMI a mandatory move in 2019 to take in order to proceed in this career and to be more “attractive” to big big libraries?

#32719 Reply
    Wall_E
    Participant

bump 🙂

#32720 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

My question was about this: is moving to ASCAP or BMI a mandatory move in 2019 to take in order to proceed in this career and to be more “attractive” to big big libraries?

From, what I have seen, it is not “Mandatory”. I have been seeing some great results from PRS, APRA, SOCAN, and SACEM.

I personally though have heard some bad stories/stuff about PRO’s in Denmark, Italy, Czech Republic/Croatia, and a few others..

#32721 Reply
    Wall_E
    Participant

What about SESAC? From what I know, it’s the only PRO that is considering Tunesat detections…

#32722 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

What about SESAC? From what I know, it’s the only PRO that is considering Tunesat detections…

Unless something has changed. SESAC is not open for public registration..

#32723 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Buckle up. The US Department of Justice is set to review the ASCAP and BMI Consent Decrees. Depending on what they decide things could remain status quo or there could be major changes and disruption in the industry.

#32726 Reply
    Wall_E
    Participant

Ironically, I just received a mail from a library saying:

…Please move your society affiliation to either ASCAP or BMI in the US to avail yourself (and us!) of the ability to direct-license your music worldwide.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Reply #32722 in Moving to ASCAP, BMI in 2019
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us