Moving to ASCAP, BMI in 2019

Home Forums PROs Moving to ASCAP, BMI in 2019

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience with SESAC? I may have a referral to become a member soon. Handed in my ASCAP resignation papers just recently after a 17 year run. Wanted to know how SESAC measures up to BMI. Thanks!

Being VERY Clear & Honest
    1) Are You are Composer/Writer/Artist, or just primarily a Composer?
    2) Will You being doing music that will be getting “Radio Airplay, and Branding/Commercials; or primarily TV Cues?

These 2 things would be the major factors.

#33550 Reply
    Chango

Hey BEATSLINGER,

Thanks for responding. I am a Composer creating music primarily for television.

#33551 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

“Just My Opinion”

Primarily a “Composer” I would go to BMI

If You were a Songwriter & Artist, and a lot of your music is being sold or radio play. I would go with SESAC

#33552 Reply
    Chango

Thanks BEATSLINGER, I appreciate that!

#33553 Reply
    Chango

HEY BEATSLINGER, Would I need a referral/invite to SESAC if I just wanted to open up a Publishing account?

#33554 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

HEY BEATSLINGER, Would I need a referral/invite to SESAC if I just wanted to open up a Publishing account?

That’s a good question.

I would just reach out to them, and ask.

My question to you though:
    Why would You ONLY have a Publishing Account? Are you a Library, represent a Catalog, or are a Music/Entertainment Company that does “Administration” or registering for Composers and/or Artist’?

#33555 Reply
    Chango

Hey BEATSLINGER,

Hey I’m a composer for a few Libraries but I also have direct contracts with some TV Production Companies. I have a diverse catalog of music from other talented writers that I send to Music Supes, per their request, and we split shares.

#33556 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hey I’m a composer for a few Libraries but I also have direct contracts with some TV Production Companies. I have a diverse catalog of music from other talented writers that I send to Music Supes, per their request, and we split shares.

Well, “technically” You can have more than 1 Publisher, but if I’m not mistaken that “usually” is only set up to administer, and/or work on the behalf of people that “already have their affiliation with SESAC”.

I would just give them a call, and explain “thoroughly” what your intentions, and plans are.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Reply #33555 in Moving to ASCAP, BMI in 2019
Your information: