Music Licensing Software

Home Forums Share It! Music Licensing Software

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

From my programmer:
    Considering the various remote server possibilities and security issues, I didn’t venture into pulling file sizes from remote servers.

#22888 Reply
    Mark

(apologies for multiple posts)

You can also get your file sizes for each audio file by dropping your catalog into iTunes, then choose…
    File > Library > Export Playlist

this will give you all of your metadata in one txt file.

Open that text file in Excel and you have all of your file sizes in kilobytes.

To convert from kilobytes to megabytes in excel do this…

Enter 1024 in an unused cell.

Copy that cell.

Select your column and Edit>Paste Special>Divide>OK>Esc

Delete the cell with 1024

Hope this helps you in figuring out how to keep this free software from being a “non-starter” for you 😉

#22889 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

“Hope this helps you in figuring out how to keep this free software from being a “non-starter” for you ;)”

Mark, Mark, Mark, sorry you took my remark as snarky, it wasn’t meant to be. It’s safe to say everyone here appreciates the free software.

Here’s my thought on this. I really don’t think you need to display size in MB. I’ve purchased downloads from image sites and checked a few other audio sites and none of them display the MB size. I do think it’s a good idea if you are downloading very large files such as sample libraries.

Just my humble 2 pennies worth 😉

#22890 Reply
    Mark

And I respectfully disagree. Our customers appreciate knowing the file size before they start their download.

Again, you can simply enter a default for all of your file sizes.
    Or if you prefer simply remove the bit of php code from the page that shows the file size.
    easy as pie.
    everything is right there for you to do what you want with.
    remove what code you don’t like. add something you would like.
    None of it is a “non-starter” though. It is an incredibly good starting point for selling your music online (in my humble opinion).

#22891 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Or if you prefer simply remove the bit of php code from the page that shows the file size.

Yep, that’s what I was thinking of doing.

#22892 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Okay, quick and dirty for those who would like to play along. I did a quick test and this “seems” to work.

Remove the below code.

<font color="#666666">size:</font> 
           <?php
           $size = $fets['size'];
           echo number_format(($size / $MegaByte), 2, '.', '');
           ?>
           Mb

From each of these files. MAKE A BACKUP OF EACH FIRST!

browse_genre_c.php
    browse_key_c.php
    index.php
    viewcart_c.php

PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I am not a programmer, just an explorer! 🙂

#22893 Reply
    Vizzahh
    Participant

Great software, thanks Mark! Any chance there is a way to enable customers to download the mp3 preview file? I know that many customers do like to pull the preview into their project for various reasons before buying, so would be great to allow that if possible…

#22894 Reply
    ExcelMusicStudio
    Participant

hi Mark ,,, thanks,, I guess the good will follows & comes around..cheers Jules

#22895 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

Hey GM
    I can’t reccomend cheap hosting from personal experience as I have been out of that market for a while now but whenever I see questions about hosting the recommendation for hostgator seems to always pop up.
    Here they have a worpress plan for $9.95 a month

Cool that is the plan I have!

Still, I was wondering if there was a composer that has the experience of installing Mark’s software on Hostgator. For me the HostGator interface appears to me like a very complex monster, and I wouldn’t know where to begin (I.e install the software on my corner of their server and link it to wordpress). Will it show up in WordPress as a plugin?

GM, if you do the switch to HG for your website so to install this soft, let’s work together on this.

#22898 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

Hi Eduardo-
    Just to help a bit.

1. Our software has nothing to do with wordpress and will not show up as a plugin in your wordpress account because our software is not a wordpress plugin.

2. When you install our software you would basically be creating a whole new website on your server that you can link to from your wordpress blog or from anywhere else.

3. To install on hostgator (or any other server really) you just need ftp access. ftp just lets you upload files to your server.
    Unzip the MLS software on your local hard drive, then in your hostgator admin area…

Login to cPanel.
    Under Files, click File Manager.
    Select Web Root and Show Hidden Files, then click Go.
    Click to open the folder to which you’d like to upload files.
    Click Upload from the top toolbar.
    Click Browse (some web browsers will have Choose File instead).
    Select the file on your computer that you wish to upload.
    Once the file has been selected, it will automatically upload. You may select additional files while uploads are in progress.

You should probably create a new directory for your music licensing store unless you want it to show up as your main website at root level.

Once you have everything copied over go to the install page of our software and follow the instructions.

#22899 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

One of our ML composers has recently created his own music licensing website using MLS software and the CSV importer to link all of his music from files that existed on a remote server.
    Looks pretty cool….
    http://jingleworks.com/

#22900 Reply
    GM
    Participant

@Edouardo

I thought about it, for now I’m invested in Weebly (2 years plan etc), so I don’t think I’m gonna do the switch, although I LOVE Mark’s software. I’m setting up my store in Weebly, not sure if it’s gonna work out for me, but as I said I’m invested so I’m gonna give it try at least. I really wish that Weebly allowed to ftp files etc.

#22904 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

Thank you so much Mark: It got me started!

But I was quickly blocked… 🙁

When I tried to access the install.php file from my browser, HostGator reported an error 500. Suspecting it was permission related, I changed the permission of the folder where I extracted the software to 777. No change. Stil this Error 500.

Any clue or hint to get me unstuck ?

#22906 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

Not sure what to tell you.
    You might want to check with support at Hostgator. They should be able to tell you what is going on.
    If not you can make a request for my programmer to help you install on the message board here on our site…
    http://www.musiclicensingsoftware.com/

Good luck.

#22910 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

Mark, I used HostGators tech support. It was something to do with my account (they ran a permission scanning program).

I am seeing my first indie shop now online: you and your programmer friend are generous geniuses! I am all excited now to start configuring it and uploading 🙂

Thank you so much for this amazing soft!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
Reply To: Reply #22891 in Music Licensing Software
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us