music submission to multiple libraries

Home Forums Newbie Questions music submission to multiple libraries

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    energyflow

Hi guys,

I’m just about to send out some music to various library companies. I recently learned that the same songs can be placed in different libraries, so long as the songs have different names.

My question is, if one company is affiliated to another company, can you submit the same songs to both libraries?

For example, Killer Tracks and FirstCom are owned by Universal. Can I place the same cues with all three companies?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

#19431 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

What you’ve learned is partially incorrect and therefore completely dangerous.

You can have the same song/cue in more than one non-exclusive library, with a caveat (below). For example, you could have the same music in Audiosparx, Jingle Punks and Music Dealers.

***OR***

You can sign a song to a single exclusive, and that same composition, under the same or a different name, CANNOT be signed to any other exclusive or non-exclusive. If you do so, you will be in breach of contract. If you sign a song to Killer Tracks for example, you CANNOT sign that song to any other library. Period.

(The caveat from above is that some non-exclusives will prohibit you from placing a cue that is with them into certain other lowball/bargain barrel libraries. Check each non-exclusive for their specific policy on that.)

#19432 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I’m just about to send out some music to various library companies. I recently learned that the same songs can be placed in different libraries, so long as the songs have different names.

That is incorrect.

You can submit the same music to different exclusive libraries for audition or demo purposes. But once you sign a contract with one exclusive library, you cannot place those songs anywhere else.

For non-exclusive deals, you can place the same songs in multiple libraries. But you should get clarification from each library if you are confused. Read the contracts carefully, ask questions, and possibly have a lawyer review the deal before signing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: music submission to multiple libraries
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us