Music used in highly offensive videos? Actions taken?

Home Forums General Questions Music used in highly offensive videos? Actions taken?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chuckdallas
    Participant

Curious if any of you experienced having your music used in videos that are highly offensive (promote violence, hate speech, unseemly activities, etc)? What actions did you take?

The Wired article below from a couple years ago prompted me to wonder about this. Since I have a fair number of tracks out there in RF sites, something like this could easily happen… has it happened to any of you?

WHEN MUSIC YOU WROTE BECOMES A HATE SPEECH SOUNDTRACKWHEN MUSIC YOU WROTE BECOMES A HATE SPEECH SOUNDTRACK
    https://www.wired.com/story/stock-music-hate-speech-youtube/

#32172 Reply
    Paul Biondi

Hi Chuck – I few years ago, one of my tension pieces was used in a vicious political ad. Man, that commercial was so nasty! So sure it can happen unless you add clauses opting you out your music being sync’ed with ‘offensive’ material. Of course, you’ll be reducing your placements opportunities but that’s certainly something you could do.

#32173 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Good day to all!

This is one of the main reasons I do a lot more work on the production music side of the business; and far less work these days on the record side of the business.

The object was to still be in the music industry, and have a creative outlet; while “working towards” a conscious effort to not keep feeding the negativity, violence, and hate that are plaguing our world.

“All Money ain’t Good Money”, and we “need” to be pro-active about our input to the world. I would rather make less money, and sleep better at night.

#32174 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

Beatslinger: isn’t it more likely, and easier, for a production music track to be licensed for an unpleasant use than it is for a record label piece of music?

Production music is pre cleared and specifically designed to be easy to license, and the writer has basically no say in its use.

#32175 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Beatslinger: isn’t it more likely, and easier, for a production music track to be licensed for an unpleasant use than it is for a record label piece of music?

That’s a very good question, and I appreciate that!
    “Most” of my later works on the record side of the business were Hip Hop/Rap. I felt that I was using my gift(s) in a negative way; and felt that I needed to take better steps to control my input into the world.

As for production music. I have curtailed any input into Royalty Free, and sites where the general public can have access to my musical works.

As well, I do not work on any material for library inclusion that has a vulgar, or violent themed lyrical content.

#32207 Reply
    Chuckdallas
    Participant

Thanks for your thoughts/experiences about this. I tend to agree with the Australian artist’s approach cited towards the end of the Wired article: “If the content is merely ‘objectionable,’ then I’ll just ignore it and try not to call attention to it’s existence,” Opie says. But, “if I found my music in something that was actually illegal,” or in a video that promotes violence, “then of course I’m going to report it.”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #32175 in Music used in highly offensive videos? Actions taken?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us