Musicians Agreement – Old Song and Don't Have Agreement

Home Forums Contracts Musicians Agreement – Old Song and Don't Have Agreement

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    angopop
    Participant

I have an old song of mine I recorded using a drummer that I knew at the time. Years later when I started getting into writing for libraries I wanted to use this song, and contacted him to sign a musician’s release agreement, and he didn’t think I was serious (“Hey man, just buy me a cup of coffee”… then after another email “Oh, man you’re serious…”) and it seemed weird for both of us.

A lesson for getting your paperwork in order beforehand, which I know now…

Anyway, I recently went back to the song and there are various ways I could proceed:

A. Re-record the drums, pricey if I hire a drummer — or unconvincing and/or time consuming if I program it myself.

B. Send out the song with his drumming, knowing that this is in the agreements that I sign, and the unlikely possibility that the song will be used and he will hear it and remember it and then what? Not comfortable with this option… but it is the easiest and will probably sound the best in the end….but not likely to choose this…

Just want to get some feedback from the group…

Thanks,
    A

#29625 Reply
    Happy Ears
    Participant

Definitely B and don’t worry about it, if it generates any significant income money, perhaps offer your friend some money to sign off on it to get the release signed. But a verbal agreement is also an agreement so buy him a cup of coffee and be done with it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Reply #29625 in Musicians Agreement – Old Song and Don't Have Agreement
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us