Musicians Fear for Livelihood Without Streaming Residuals

Home Forums News Musicians Fear for Livelihood Without Streaming Residuals

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jdt9517
    Participant

I am afraid that there are too many hungry young writers that charge forward so fast and will sign any contract presented to them.

Bingo. That’s the dilemma. However, that issue also determines the value of your music, or my music. How are we differentiated? If we are not differentiated, the value of our music is the same – almost worthless. Law of supply and demand.

There are reasons why purchasers will pay more for yours or my product than the “hungry young writer”. Why was an Earle Hagen or John Carpenter hired instead of a novice? If dollars was the only concern, they would have been on the street at their prices.

Maybe those low compensation areas are to be left to the hungry young writers and the pros simply say no. At that point, the “Oligarchy” can decide whether to lure the pros in at higher prices. If the differentiation does not matter, the prices will not go up. If the quality is needed, the prices would rise. The market decides the price. The Oligarchy may be the primary purchaser, but if there is no supply of quality product, the price necessarily will go up to meet the demand.

There is a huge difference between world-class product and novice product. The market will pay the difference if the world-class supply is controlled by the pros. Will the $48 payment of downloads change your life if you don’t get it? Maybe the answer is to say “no”. If enough people say “no” the prices will rise. We control the supply. If we do not give them the music, there is nothing to sell. I suggest that if 30% of the quality music went away, prices would rise. The market is over-saturated of quality music. We can correct that problem.

At my point of life, if I am competing with the novices, I’m in the wrong area.

#33463 Reply
    jdt9517
    Participant

Just got this e-mail this morning and it details the calculation.

Thanks for the update. Congrats on you pensions! You were part of that “Golden Era”.

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Musicians Fear for Livelihood Without Streaming Residuals
Your information: