Must Watch Film – Share it

Home Forums Commentary Must Watch Film – Share it

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

I don’t know about you guys, but I am no longer telling people where and how I sell or place my music into TV shows to earn royalties or RF income.

That horse left the barn long ago. CD Baby and a plethora of how to sites like “Get Your Music Licensed,” the “90 Day Licensing Challenge” and Emmet Cooke’s new e-book offer plenty of advice on how to get started. The where, when, and how is far from our little secret.

I flat out disagree with that statement. How about 500 years ago? Or just 150 years ago? Or even, just 50 years ago?

I agree with you also Tbone. The Internet has made it much easier for me to pull down a decent income as a writer. There are so many more opportunities than 50 years ago. And, I was in the music business in 1963!

+1,000

It’s far easier now. I have tremendous resources at my fingertips to create quicky and inexpensively, and, more importantly to make my music available to millions of end users. For example, I recently sold an older cue, that I updated, to a production company in New Zealand! That would have been unheard of even 30 years ago.

The fact is that most of the composers won’t have the willpower, skill set, or resources to produce the volume of work necessary to succeed at licensing.

Resources are extremely important. Many businesses fail because they are under capitalized. Capital can be money, equipment or time. You need money to survive and buy equipment. You need time to produce the volume of work necessary, and to develop the skill sets needed, to succeed.

Merely letting the cat out of the bag, will not make anyone able to compete on a high level. Moreover, there is far more demand now for licensed music than there was even just 30 years ago.

No worries here. Just anxious to settle into our new location and get to work.

_Michael

#13319 Reply
    More Advice

Yep, we can all just pat ourselves on the back for being the smartest guys in the world when it comes to making money with music! I made the decision in 1995 to quit the band and focus 100% on music for all media.
    I do miss the session scene though, where getting together with the rhythm section at 10 AM then horn section at noon, then vocalists at 2 then mixing at 4PM. The business was much more enjoyable as we actually worked together face to face and used charts and allowed space for spontaneous twists with the music. The live sound was always much better. I actually miss recording to 2 inch tape. There is something about the process of putting that tape on the machine and threading it around the right side reel and printing the click track to tape.

It’s amazing how many people are out there climbing a wall of hope thinking something may happen with the “band in a van” concept where they give away CD’s, sell 2 T shirts per gig, make a lo fi YOUTUBE video, and seek “exposure”. I really feel sorry for all those trapped in that no man’s land scene.

Watch out for these guys though…they simply will go on to dominate due to their inherent greatness. I don’t think I have ever scene a better rhythm section ever, anywhere…and who can possibly be better than this bass player?

#13320 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

It’s amazing how many people are out there climbing a wall of hope thinking something may happen with the “band in a van” concept where they give away CD’s, sell 2 T shirts per gig, make a lo fi YOUTUBE video, and seek “exposure”. I really feel sorry for all those trapped in that no man’s land scene.

Besides collaborating with other musicians, I see nothing magical about being in a band. A life on the road seems pretty unglamourous and stressful to me. The analog ways are over.

#13321 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

There is something about the process of putting that tape on the machine and threading it around the right side reel and printing the click track to tape.

Yeah but the maintenance of those machines. I don’t miss that though I never thought I would ever sell my 2″ 24 track.

and who can possibly be better than this bass player?

Saw that video a year or so ago and you are right, great group and that bass player! Simply mind boggling, just amazing!

#13322 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I do miss the session scene though, where getting together with the rhythm section at 10 AM then horn section at noon, then vocalists at 2 then mixing at 4PM. The business was much more enjoyable as we actually worked together face to face and used charts and allowed space for spontaneous twists with the music. The live sound was always much better

I agree. I didn’t do jingles. But, when I did film scores, for much of my library music, and as an “artist.” I always hired players and put pencil to paper. I miss hanging with like minds.

With respect to “charts,” I find that I write better when I can see it on paper. But, like reading, musical literacy is declining. Sad.

Live players sound better if they are very good players. If their intonation is bad, they’re not in the pocket, and/or they aren’t recorded well, live can sound small, bad and old.

Like everything else, it’s what the current generation is used to. they’ve grown up listening to quantized machines. And…radio formatting has resulted in McMusic.

I actually miss recording to 2 inch tape

I miss sitting behind an Amek or Euphonix console the size of a stretch limo. Moving “faders” with my mouse is just not the same experience.

Watch out for these guys though…they simply will go on to dominate due to their inherent greatness. I don’t think I have ever scene a better rhythm section ever, anywhere…and who can possibly be better than this bass player?

Like Art, I saw this video a year or two ago (Art I think I sent it to you!) The kid on bass is amazing. Jaco was scary good like that.
    Unfortunately, they may be too good for their own good. To borrow from Amadeus… “too many notes.” The mass audience is pretty white-bread. They don’t appreciate what musicians appreciate. Overall, the sound is a little reminiscent of Toto, another great bunch of session players.

#13325 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I see nothing magical about being in a band. A life on the road seems pretty unglamourous and stressful to me.

Depends on the band and what acts you are working with. I was fortunate to work with some great players and world class artists. Had some great times on the road.

#13326 Reply
    bradymusico

Great Film! Thanks for sharing.

Some of my colleagues have tried to get into licensing but after a bit of success have not been able to keep up with the demands of writing to spec, for example. I think our edge in composing production music evolves with experience, persistence, and an unrelenting desire to write the perfect cue, monetize it and move on. For me personally, moving on from my “little babies” was the first and hardest step. I used to like to babysit, revisit, and remix cues as I got new tools etc. Eventually I learned that was counterproductive (in most scenarios).

Certainly the digital age has afforded us crazy opportunities in this side of the business. That’s not to say there aren’t legitimate concerns moving forward. We should all be aware of some of the pitfalls of the industry and also active in the legislative processes that I do believe, in the end, will serve to better protect writers and creatives. Most importantly though, as one of my composition professors used to say, don’t forget to “Shut Up & Write.”

I’ve been following their stuff since their first cover…just WAITING for them to make an album. Incredible group of talent and sorely needed in the pop scene. Not very often that a group like that can come along and take things to the next level. I’ve been in an argument or two with a couple colleagues that think they are one trick ponies and that the high production quality of the arrangements on the vids hides them from the “live” aspect. No matter how good your production chops are though (or who you’re working with) you have to have some real pocket talent to pull off their arrangements and still have a cool/hip modern edge. I’m looking forward to catching them live when they come stateside.

#13327 Reply
    euca

@Desire,

I played in a touring band through the 90’s and 2000,2001. You are right it is stressful and unglamorous MOST of the time, but there were also a lot of life lessons and a lot of good times.

We toured in a van, slept in the van or sometimes on peoples floors and we even had hotel rooms from time to time. I would not do it now unless all the bells and whistles came along with it but at that time I was young and had no family.

It was a great way to see the US and Canada for free and we got to meet a lot of really cool people along the way. I also learned very much about music just by watching the 1000’s of bands we played with over the years.

When we played in Memphis we got to see Sun Studios, something I may not have done if not for the band and I’ll tell you what, Sun Studios has a very electric feel to it, I still remember the goosebumps I got walking into that studio!

But at this point in my life I would rather be doing production music.

I think the players involved in this film probably don’t want to do production music or license their tunes, they come from the diy mind frame. To license a song is like selling out.

#13328 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

For the record, this DL video was released last week. It IS their first original tune release.

#13329 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Dirty Loops are brilliant, too brilliant IMO, remember what Salieri said to Mozart. they are Swedish I believe, which is one of the last places in Europe where you find session musicians of this caliber every where, frightening.

I certainly do not miss 2 inch tape or analogue or lining up or recalling ……………… and the list goes on. The internet has opened up a new line of business for me and for that I am grateful.

I have done the “on the road’, Studio and even management in my time, I really feel for bands now trying to make a living from record sales now.

However we are not in general affected by what happens in the movie, thankfully.

#13330 Reply
    aresende
    Participant

I’ve seen some pirate movie sites. Maybe the same thing that happened to music will happen to the movie industry.
    I’m afraid that this crisis will reach many areas, because of the virtualization trend that is increasing every day.

#13331 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I certainly do not miss 2 inch tape or analogue or lining up or recalling ……………… and the list goes on.

We’ve got plu-ins to simulate tape machines and consoles now. 😉

#13332 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

We’ve got plu-ins to simulate tape machines and consoles now.

and 1176, Fairchild, Pultec …….. Do I miss the old days in that regard, no. I do miss the people and genuine fun and enthusiasm that was around then though.

#13333 Reply
    More Advice

Here is some more good news for “bands in vans” doing the “free CD” thing. (SEE LINK BELOW)

It’s really amazing, I have to say one more thing about that gig I attended the other night. The third band got on at 10PM, abut 6 guys up there: Drums, Bass, Keys, Trumpet/ Horn Guy, 2 guitarists, 1 singer. The singer in between songs says (in a very small defeated voice) says “Thanks for coming out…you can….you can…get our CD’s over at the desk hear…you can also check us out on facebook (voice begins to get smaller and smaller…even more insecure) and you can find our stuff on Spotify, reverbnation and all those…all those other ether places in internet land….

Then looks down…. HEAD DOWN…for a moment…

Chugga Chugga on the guitar to cover up his humiliation and next tune begins…

It was almost as though HE couldn’t understand what? and why? he was saying, what he was saying. It was like I read his mind for a moment where he thought to himself….”Why am I telling these people to find us on Spotify?”

I felt bad for these headliners too, they were tight and good, and are probably just looking for some minimal respect… perhaps $30 each for the performance. I bet the 7 guys split $100, but will funnel it back to fund T shirt pressings

Read this one:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2013/10/31/infiveyears

#13334 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I do miss the people and genuine fun and enthusiasm that was around then though.

You can always drop me an email. We could get skype. Just confirmed that I’ll have broadband deep in the woods.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
Reply To: Must Watch Film – Share it
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us