Naming instrument songs by project dates

Home Forums Copyright Questions Naming instrument songs by project dates

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Franklin

I have been recording and writing music for over 20 years.I would descibe myself as a “compulsive songwriter” I have 300-500 instrumental songs I want to license.Because I compose primarily instrumentals, my naming of my compositions has always been to use the date. I am relatively new to music licensing ,and recently I have come across music license companies who require
    songs to be registered with a PRO. If I copyright and register a song with a name for example “9-16-13”,and I name the song for sale on a site as a different more decriptive name such as “Dramatic Action Thriller Sequence” is this going to be a problem?
    My plan was to get the songs copyrighted and registered first and then decide on names later. I want to use names specific to where and whom I am pitching them.Also want to offer as various packages.It would be easier to keep track of on my end. Now I am afraid when a search is done by a music licensing company to preclear the track they won’t find A registration under the new title.
    Am I making this too complicated or is this a legitimate concern?
    Also I usually make at least 4-10 edits of every song.Would I copyright and register all of them?
    Originally when I first started submitting songs, registration was not asked for in advance.I am holding off on copyrighting anymore songs until I have a better understanding.
    I am sorry this turned into a novel.I meant it to be a quick question,but the more I started explaining my situation,the more questions that came to mind. Thanks in advance for your time. Sincerely, Franklin

#12423 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Am I making this too complicated or is this a legitimate concern?

You are making this too complicated.

#12426 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

AKIK you can’t copyright a title so that point may be moot. MichaelL would know better. As for your PRO you can register alternate titles and probably after the fact of the initial registration. Check with your PRO.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Naming instrument songs by project dates
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us