NBC St Patrick's Day Parade Cue

Home Forums Share It! NBC St Patrick's Day Parade Cue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Tunesat just picked up my “Celtic Dancer “cue running for 1 minute 37 seconds on the NBC St Patrick’s Day Parade today. Sounded like the sign-off, wonder what that will pay!

Heck I wasn’t even wearing green today!

Couldn’t get it to embed here so it’s on the MLR Jukebox for those interested. https://musiclibraryreport.com/jukebox/

#20803 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Congrats!

#20804 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

My Dropkick Murphy’s influenced track Half Irish netted me $20 last month !

(OK not even in the same parking lot of Art’s ballpark. but)….

Seriously congrats Art. That really is a cool (hopefully lucrative ) placement, I love hearing stories like this.

#20805 Reply
    Blind
    Participant

I would be curious to see the payout too. The bummer is that those things only air once. I had a cue play in the summer olympics on NBC for a half minute and only got $50, and it won’t re-run, so that’s it!

#20806 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks all. I figure it might be around $75 to $100 and yes only a one time run. It would be nice if there was a license fee but that would be dreaming of the “old days”!

#20807 Reply
    John

Great piece Art.

Always liked it.

Being a Paddy myself I was reflecting on one St Patricks Day not long ago when I had three gigs.

A bandstand in a town in West London. 10am-12

A pub in East London from 2pm – 5pm.

A dance hall in Ealing,London from 10pm -2am.

Happy days and lots of money,not to mention lots of Guinness!!!!

#20808 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Congrats Art! Your lucky day! 😀

#20810 Reply
    Jay

nice…

#20811 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Hey Art, not to rain on your parade and for my own education – is it possible your placement in the live broadcast of a parade will be considered an “Ephemeral Use” and seeing as it wont be re-broadcast no royalties paid?

#20812 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Hey Art, not to rain on your parade

Ouch!

…and now with BMI, how much you get paid depends on the ratings!

#20813 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

From an Irishman congrats!!!

#20815 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

is it possible your placement in the live broadcast of a parade will be considered an “Ephemeral Use” and seeing as it wont be re-broadcast no royalties paid?

Quite possibly. I’m not surprised by anything anymore!

#20816 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Let us know how it works out, we all can learn!

My opinion is broadcasters are stretching the boundaries of an ephemeral use. It’s one thing if a band marching in the parade is playing a copyrighted piece, that’s the type of thing the use should cover. But planning ahead to use a copyrighted piece should always be paid for properly. Local TV here seems to be a frequent offender. There’s a live local news broadcast that takes requests from viewers. They announce “tell us what song you’d like to hear on our broadcast and well try to play it on the air”. They use popular music for cuts to commercials and transitions. I suppose they feel it is within their rights as a live broadcast. And maybe it is, I don’t know the law. But really, taking requests???

Anyway, don’t mean to change the topic of this thread. Hope you do see some royalties!

#20820 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Let us know how it works out, we all can learn!

I will!

#26929 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

Hi Art,
    Wondering if you ever go paid for this, or was it considered ephemeral use? I had a cue for 2:18 last year (2016) on the same parade and haven’t seen anything yet. Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: NBC St Patrick's Day Parade Cue
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us