Need a little Advice, Any help would be appreciated.

Home Forums Critiques Need a little Advice, Any help would be appreciated.

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MuscoSound
    Participant

I just finished this track:

https://soundcloud.com/musco-sound/michael-musco-to-the-moon-original

I’ve kind of gotten attached to it, and I am not really sure what I want to do with it. I’d like to get it on Beatport, but I’d also like to license it out. It’s one of those things where I am not really sure what to do with it. I don’t want to put it someplace and then get stuck. What do you guys think? Should I keep it out of license land and make like an EP and try to release it like that, or do you think it would be ok to put it as stock music? Any help would be very much appreciated. I am kind of torn at the moment and not really sure what to do. Thanks!

#21533 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bumpity bump. 🙂

#21534 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hey MuscoSound, your track is not loading from Soundcloud.

#21535 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant
    #21539 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Michael – seeing as the song is over four minutes long and is made up of unique sections, I would split it out into three separate pieces and make each available for licensing individually. Probably more money to be made licensing three one minutes tracks than releasing an EP?

#21540 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Michael – seeing as the song is over four minutes long and is made up of unique sections, I would split it out into three separate pieces and make each available for licensing individually.

That is excellent advice!

Songs like this one are great for being played at parties and maybe on the radio. But they are too much for most music libraries. Split the song up into three different parts and extend each one to around two minutes. You will the. Have three licensable songs and can make edits to increase the chances of the songs being licensed.

#21541 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

That is good advice, I appreciate it. When I got into the flow of making it, I kind of throw the “commercial” constraint out the window and just wanted to make something cool. Thanks for the advice!

#21542 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

When I got into the flow of making it, I kind of throw the “commercial” constraint out the window and just wanted to make something cool.

Funny you write this. I actually do this all the time. I thought it was common practice among composers.

When I compose, it’s like a creative time bubble where no other consideration has a place. After a few weeks, I will enter a re-arrangement / edition time bubble, that’s where I format the music for library licensing.

I would say 70% of my music originates from these ‘creative bubbles’.
    The rest is created with a commercial objective in mind or following a request. Sometimes constraints help creativity, so having an imposed format can also be good.

In terms of success in licensing, I would say that both production processes end up with similar results, but I enjoy much more the one with the 100% creation time bubble!

#21708 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

I appreciate everyone’s advice. I kind of got on a roll of making this progressive house music so I decided to just make an EP and release it. I know it’s not really what libraries would consider commercially useful, so I kind of went another route. Here’s the EP:

https://soundcloud.com/michaelmusco/sets/michael-musco-unconstrained

I guess now, it’s back to work writing some music for libraries. haha my sabbatical is over.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Reply #21535 in Need a little Advice, Any help would be appreciated.
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us