Never Stop Learning

Home Forums Share It! Never Stop Learning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

I have wanted to share this about myself for a while but was worried I would come across as bragging or arrogant. Please know that is not my intent. My intent is to share what helped me grow as a musician and composer. It may encourage some of you to try it if so inclined.
    I am a trombone and piano player. A little over 5 years ago a friend gave me a decent quality classical guitar and I was quickly captivated by the sound of the instrument. I then made one of the best musical decisions of my life. At age 47 I began taking classical guitar lessons, with a professional teacher, once a week, from square one. I thought my self-taught guitar skills from my garage band days would be an advantage, but the exact opposite was true. The first year was spent un-learning bad habits, ha!
    I pursued my studies with the same effort and devotion that I put into my production music writing. I practiced from 1 to 4 hours per day. I overdid it a few times and developed some tendon issues. There were many times I wanted to quit throw it in the fireplace, but I kept going for 5 years. A month ago my teacher and I agreed I really didn’t need him anymore. Wow! I just began monthly electric guitar lessons.
    I think, conservatively, that my current library of 280 tracks would be doubled if I hadn’t spent so much time practicing, but I have absolutely no regrets. After about 2 years I was actually able to start playing guitar on some tracks, with LOTS of editing required 😉 I began scouring Craigslist and added electric guitars and bass, mandolin, banjo, dobro, 12 string acoustic and ukulele to my tool box. My guitar abilities transferred to all of these instruments all have been used and placed. I even recorded a simple PD classical guitar etude that has gotten me two $250 sync fees. I have also developed some decent recording skills in the process and I feel having more “real” instruments in my tracks has really upped my production game.
    My point is this. If any of you have ever longed to play another instrument, go for it! Your only regret will be that you didn’t start sooner. This business is so slow moving that a 5 year investment in yourself is nothing.

#28033 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hell to All!

Alan, great story! I commend you on continuing your growth!!

#28034 Reply
    toddwatson
    Participant

How would this be bragging? It seems like you made a 5 year investment, worked very hard and have gotten what you deserve. Congrats!

#28035 Reply
    DylanBuckle
    Participant

Great Story Alan. Its encouraging to hear the dedication paid off and also your unwavering commitment. All the best

#28037 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Even on guitar there are other worlds to explore. I’ve been playing guitar for over forty years, and never put much thought into how I fingerpick acoustic guitar, but have really started exploring fingerstyle as of late, listening to guys like Chet Atkins, Tommy Emmanuel, Earl Klugh. Like learning a brand new instrument when you study how to do it properly. Also, playing slide, listening to real slide players ( I am a big fan of Derek Trucks). Experimenting with open tunings. I have attempted to become a proficient enough piano player to take it out to gigs. but unfortunately haven’ t gotten there, and including piano on my tracks is a pretty painstaking process. I can say that I experimented with MIDI guitar, but for the software doesn’t track fast playing well, but I am proficient enough pianist at this point it is just easier and sounds better to actually track parts on the keys. With a good amount of that heavy editing you were mentioning.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Never Stop Learning
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us