New format? Stems?

Home Forums Software New format? Stems?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JD

I just got turned on to this. Just wondering if it is “the next” format to be adopted by some music libraries? NI is a pretty substantial software developer, so it could take hold. Not sure if it will replace actual separate stem mixes, but it does seem a little more “secure” for the composer. Your thoughts?

http://www.stems-music.com/index.html

#22826 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Really cool! Would be nice to be more than four layers though. Some genres need more – maybe eight would work for hybrid stuff?

I wonder if library music will eventually move to converting tracks into a format like Apple Loops, where small changes in tempo and key can be made easily.

#22839 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I wonder if library music will eventually move to converting tracks into a format like Apple Loops, where small changes in tempo and key can be made easily.

It might happening already, Mark!

http://www.smartsound.com

#22841 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

wow that is pretty brilliant. I wonder how often their customers use that flexibility.

#22842 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I wonder how often their customers use that flexibility.

Time is money. Whether video editors will spend the time or clients will pay for the time that it takes for them to play around with tracks is anyone’s guess

I’ve sat in on sessions with HGTV type editors, and it was pretty much wham bam. There’s not a lot of time to ponder — especially on the music. It wasn’t a huge priority for these guys.They’re under a lot of pressure to get things done.

#31731 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Stems only come into play for very high end TV spots or trailers in my opinion. For background drops onto TV, I sense that video editors just grab the full mix or bed mix and “bam” as you said…just get the episode edited so it’s done. Post audio for high end 30TV spots will often require 4 to 6 hours of studio time doing a mix with music. vo, and sfx, and those jobs often will have revisions the next day. Reality TV show editors will never have that time.

I get e-mailed about 3 to 5 times a year for stems from customers sourcing music on stock sites. Once the client learns that I expect to be paid $200 to $300 to open the session and render out each instrument as a mono stem then wetransfer the files for their mix, suddenly the mix they licensed works just fine!

#31732 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

wow that is pretty brilliant. I wonder how often their customers use that flexibility

Stems only come into play for very high end TV spots or trailers in my opinion

I have only had to submit stems to my High-end Libraries. The stems came in very handy recently when a client thought the song was perfect, but felt the pianos made it too melodic for the project. I had to do nothing else on my part, and the client/customer got exactly what they wanted.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Reply #31731 in New format? Stems?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us