Composer Awards Now On!

Home Forums Share It! Composer Awards Now On!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    GoldenEar
    Participant

Hi Art and all!

A few industry friends and I are hosting a new music award showcase โ€” launching next month. I wanted to hip the MLR community to it first, because it will benefit us all.

Put simply, many of us will never earn a Grammy, BAFTA, etc. There are limited opportunities to showcase our music without being jerked around.

Thatโ€™s why we are hoping you take part in The Modern Music Maker Awards.

Composers will be invited to submit songs in niche production music categories (Quirky Dramedy, Synth Pop, Southern Rock etc.). Submissions will be vetted by music editors and supervisors. The final songs will then take part in an online poll.

Winners will get free plugins and be awarded the Modern Music Maker Award of their category. Everything will be transparent, honest, and fun.

By involving key library and productions players, we have every intention of making the Modern Music Maker Awards a respected calling card for winners to get through gatekeepers and into more publishing deals.

Details are being sorted out and ducks are getting in a row. Iโ€™ll hip everyone when it goes live with first award opportunities.

You can sign up for info at http://www.modernmusicmaker.com

Art – Weโ€™ll purchase ad space once all good to go. Thanks!

Bobby

#29365 Reply
    GoldenEar
    Participant

The Modern Music Maker Awards are up and running. Super easy to sign up, a bunch of nice people and music shakers involved, and Russell Emanuel – Founder of EXTREME is our first featured judge. http://www.modernmusicmaker.com

#29372 Reply
    GoldenEar
    Participant

The first open category is for BEAUTIFUL UNDERSCORE.

From hip hop, to orchestral or acoustic guitar….all submissions must evoke beauty.

MLR subscribers get limited promo — 5 submissions for every 1.

#29376 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Wait…..sorry if this comes off weird…..does this COST money to submit??

#29378 Reply
    TechNoiZ
    Participant

Any chance of knowing who these industry friends, nice people and music shakers are? There is no information on the website save the aforementioned Russell Emanuel. Any deadline? What about the prize?

This sounds a little bit RSL…

#29381 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

There is an existing Award specifically for Production Music Composers. It is the Mark Award, presented by the Production Music Association (PMA).

we have every intention of making the Modern Music Maker Awards a respected calling card for winners to get through gatekeepers and into more publishing deals.

The “gatekeepers” are those at which libraries?

#29383 Reply
    GoldenEar

I’m trying to reply, but it’s not showing up…

#29382 Reply
    GoldenEar

Hi – all good questions and honestly we welcome any input and suggestions. Yes it is pay-to-play at the moment, but MLR users get 5 songs for $5. If you take away 1/3 of that for transaction fees, the cost of hosting, promotion etc….nobody is trying to get rich off your hard work. The truthful goal is to create a recognizable pitch to libraries and publishers. “Hi – My name is….some of my work includes…and I’m the winner of Modern Music Maker award for…”
    Ultimately, we would like to phase out this model as advertisers cover cost of hosting.

Not sure what RSL is…but Mark Awards are a different thing. First, a lot of composers are not PMA. Second, Modern Music Maker Awards are more for those who have the chops but don’t have the EMI, Warner, big A-list trailer gig. The point is that this will get you closer to those bigger deals. If you are already an A-lister or solid B++ turning down jobs then you probably don’t need another calling card. If, however, you make great music but find it challenging to catch the ear of a bigger fish or get off Scripps, then that is where the Modern Music Maker Award comes in. By incorporating the gatekeepers, we hope to get you through them.

The Awards have not rolled out outside of MLR yet, and some details are being worked out.
    The judges are actual editors and supervisors currently placing. They are not individually listed because 1) They are typically audio nerds who have absorbed too much blue light sitting in front of 27 inch imacs 60 hours a week. 2) Publicizing a detailed list of who to blast with your music would upset our friends and contacts off 3) It is a rotating committee, depending on schedules and genres. We are rolling out and will be adding familiar faces and some behind-the-scenes players — all of whom will be given your contact if they would like to discuss direct placing.

New categories will be listed every few weeks depending on judges’ specialty and availability. 10 finalists from each category will go to a 7 day online poll. They will be posted on our site, blasted on social media and you can vote every hour. Submission deadlines will be posted shortly…still feeling out. We can’t accept too many or too little.

Russell Emanuel is the man and he is someone who I, and every other committee judge knows of and uses his library. We respect his name and brand and hope it shows our honest intentions. We always welcome thoughts so we can shape this properly. Thanks for reading through and hope this helps!

#29385 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Iโ€™m trying to reply, but itโ€™s not showing upโ€ฆ

As I’ve said a million times before. If you use profanity in your posts (since removed) it will go to the moderation queue! Sigh…

#29386 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I will keep a look out to see how this develops. I never say never..

This does however seem to me to be a “FMN, X-Ray, etc” with just another “spin on the wordplay” to make it “seem” like something more than just a “Pat-to-submit””..

#29387 Reply
    GoldenEar

Beatslinger: I hear that, i do. If we had more money it would be free. All I can say is certain sites make promises for gigs that are not visible or cloudy. We are showing our featured judges and polls are visible. There can be no denying that a winner was selected by quality, not contribution. It might not be for everyone, but the intentions are good and visible for all to see. Plus, it’s fun and breaks up the monotony of sitting in a cave and waiting for a PRO check.

#29388 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

OK. Here goes.. I am one of those “Solid B+ Composers with full albums, and tracks in some Top Tier Libraries”. Understanding that because “The Bar has been set so low with the influx of un-seasoned writers; it is making it harder for music to be heard by The Top Tier Libraries”. I will send you a PM, with a link to my work, and you let me know I should give this a shot. It’s not like you’re asking a lot of money, it’s just the principle..

#29390 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Yeah, myself as well. I’m an A+, B or C- level writer depending on the day you catch me, ad who I’m working for. ๐Ÿ™‚

I appreciate the fact that it takes some money to do this, but as it sits – even with the reasonable price – it seems that it’s just another pay to play scheme. And with that, I’m not interested. Thanks for the opportunity though….

#29391 Reply
    GoldenEar
    Participant

Honest enough…I’m like an A in my head, but a B- according to BMI ๐Ÿ˜‰

This discussion has definitely given me food for thought. I will expedite my homework on advertisers and go back to some 7th grade math to figure out how to balance this. Thanks

#29393 Reply
    gigdude

How do they know we are MLR users ? It just says $5 on the submission page.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Reply #29378 in Composer Awards Now On!
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us