New to understanding Details of PRO Account for SOCAN

Home Forums PROs New to understanding Details of PRO Account for SOCAN

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hunter123
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m a Canadian who registered an account for SOCAN about a year ago and haven’t used it until now. I’ve been making money on Audiojungle since then and haven’t really registered any tracks except a couple. There are a few things that I don’t fully understand concerning the details and hopefully some other SOCAN members or even US/UK members might be able help me understand.

When I register a track under Shareholders(where I put my name in):
    Under Affiliation I’m guessing I just write SOCAN? (says=”Society acronym(s) of which the shareholder(s) are members.”

Under Collection Share % – Do I put in my % based on the deal between the publisher (ex.50/50) or do they mean your split if there are other writers(shareholders)? (says – “The Collection share is the percentage of the work for which a shareholder is entitled to receive a distribution from SOCAN. )
    For Link it says -“Enter a link number to identify the publisher that each writer is associated with. Please assign the same number to related shareholders. For example:

Writer A is published by Publisher A
    Link for writer A is 1
    link for publisher A is 1
    Writer B is published by Publisher A
    Link for writer B is 1
    link for publisher A is 1
    Writer C is published by Publisher B
    Link for writer C is 2,
    link for publisher B is 2”

If I’m the only writer should I just put in a 1 I’m guessing?

And lastly for US Rep, I put in ASCAP because I had to choose something. I’ve never contacted ASCAP and I was wondering if I should be registering with them specifically If I have them choosen as my US Representative? Or is it something I just choose and then SOCAN handles everything?

I apologize if some other members find these obvious but I just wanted to make sure I’m filling these out properly. I want to expand out from Audiojungle and actually start making royalty statements from Libraries that pay out for that. Thanks for taking the time to read through this guys 🙂

#31288 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump

#31290 Reply
    MaLmusic
    Participant

If you’re with music libraries who take your publishing royalties, they will register the tracks for you, so you don’t have to worry about that.

If you’re the only shareholder, you just enter 100% and forget the link thing. You don’t have to contact ASCAP or BMI when you select one of them as your US rep. But you might have to contact them if you have a placement on some TV show, to make sure you’re name and info is on the cue sheet and everything. Or maybe you can contact SOCAN when you have placements. All my placements were through music libraries, so I don’t know how it works when there’s no publisher.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #31288 in New to understanding Details of PRO Account for SOCAN
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us