New toy!

Home Forums Share It! New toy!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

I just acquired a bass harmonica for $200 from an estate sale. This should be fun, ha (and hopefully profitable)

#19808 Reply
    odie76
    Participant

That’s great. I can never play a harmonica at home because my dog starts howling as soon as I start playing! Maybe the lower pitch of a bass harmonica would be more agreeable to her. I checked it out on youtube, it does look like fun. I’d imagine you could also get some really interesting sounds out of it with some effects plugins.

#19813 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Check out the Chris Klein HArmonica VST , expensive but sounds like you get what you pay for. The Sonivox is cheaper, and what I went with and is not a bad choice. The one in Xpand (which I discovered after I bought the Sonivox) sounds better then what you would think, if you’re a Pro Tools user. Wish I could play the real thing. Someone should start a “garage sales finds” thread.

#19814 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Congrats on the purchase Alan. It’s lighter than a trombone.

@ Chuck, I have the Chris Hein Harmonica, but haven’t gotten into it yet. It does sound great.

For bass harmonica check out: http://www.cinematique-instruments.com/inst_bass_harmonica.php

#19826 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

@MichaelL, Ha, actually it’s heavier than my tenor “pea-shooter” trombone, a good 4-5 lbs! Now the bass-bone is heavy, and gets heavier every year ;~)

After my bass harmonica honeymoon is over, I will likely spend a day recording each note and loading it into sampler. It will save a lot of time in the long run. I did that with an early 1900’s banjolin and that sample patch has done pretty well for me.

#19862 Reply
    Vizzahh
    Participant

Estate sales and thrift shops are the best for finding old and odd instruments on the cheap. I’ve got a thrift shop near me that I walk to when I need a break. In the last few months I’ve picked up a 60’s Oscar Schmidt Autoharp (20 bucks), an ancient Marxophone (10 bucks) and most recently a pair of 60’s Calrad dynamic mics (30bucks). Unbelievable what some folks throw/give away!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: New toy!
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us