No Sync Fees?

Home Forums Commentary No Sync Fees?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Trackmaster

I’ve been composing for a short amount of time (less than 5 yrs) and I just started working with a production company on an EDM album.

The company gives a small payment upfront when the tracks are completed, and I would receive 100% of my writers share but no sync fees.

I don’t think these tracks would be for reality TV, as this library seems pretty high-class in terms of placements (McDonalds, Nike, Apple, etc).

I think I would have to spend 4-5 hours on each track.

This is my first project like this, and the 2nd time I’m ever getting paid upfront for any tracks in music licensing.

What do you guys think? Fair deal? Would you make this deal?

All input is appreciated.

#20189 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

It’s hard to say.

I guess that the question for you is “do you want to earn sync fees?”.

If so, you may have to pass on the deal. If you can live with only getting the upfront fee and the writers royalties, it may be a nice deal.

You also have to factor in the time it takes to make each track. Sometimes the work that you put in demands more money upfront and demands sync fees for usages.

It does take a lot of work to create a full album.

#20201 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

Hey Trackmaster,

Would you make this deal?….All input is appreciated

I’ll share my input and take on this – since you’ve asked 🙂

I decide based on numbers and also gut feeling. Money-wise, will the upfront money plus (estimated) backend mean your composing fee continues to increase over these five years? Would it leave you feeling fairly compensated?

And the intangibles: does it feel right? will this bring you further ahead and into the direction you want to pursue?

Paul

#20202 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

I don’t think these tracks would be for reality TV, as this library seems pretty high-class in terms of placements (McDonalds, Nike, Apple, etc).

That’s what you’d be giving up in lieu of the upfront money. Those sync fees can be huge, 4 figures and up. I just did some tracks for a deal like this, and the upfront money was in the little less than $500 range, no sync fees, but 100% writers. I personally think you should make $500 a track in this situation, but that may be out of the question. It also depends on how much you need the upfront money!

#20204 Reply
    Trackmaster

The upfront is a lot less than $500. Closer to something like $100. lol.

I think this will open up some doors/opportunities for me as well as help me develop, but if the track gets a big sync fee, I’d be kind of mad honestly.

#20207 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

You have to do whatever you feel is right, but yes you will be very angry if Nike picks it up and all you get is $100! The PRO money may add up though. It may open up doors, but more than likely, if they can get you to work that cheap, they won’t ever pay you more. Just my thoughts. Best of luck either way!

#20208 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

It may open up doors, but more than likely, if they can get you to work that cheap, they won’t ever pay you more.

Truth!

The upfront is a lot less than $500. Closer to something like $100. lol.

In that case, no. F*** no! that is nothing to “LOL” about. That is sad. 🙁

They want to pay you $100 to create an original album’s worth of music? Please say no.

#20211 Reply
    Trackmaster

Agreed, guys. Thanks for the help.

#20212 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

I thought he was talking $100 per cue, and I hope that’s the case. I was giving a per cue fee. If it’s 15 songs, it SHOULD be around $7500 for the whole project. I’d at least try to get $3000 for 15 cues.

#20213 Reply
    Trackmaster

Yeah, it’s like $100 per cue, not for a whole 10 track project.

#20214 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

This isn’t just unfair in my view, I find it insulting. 0% sync fee and they’re looking at big placements, as you say, with Nike, Apple etc. That could be $2k on one sync of which you get nothing.

I would never sign a deal like this with any library. You should always retain some % of sync and your 100% writer’s performing share.

Hell I’m starting to think about starting my own library and offering double what they have – with a synch fee % – just to stop them getting away with this.

As for opening up doors. Everytime I was told that in my career I got a raw deal in the end. The times people treated me decently were the ones that turned into successes. The only doors that get opened with this kind of deal – in my experience – are the bank’s doors for the library owner.

Just hold on and think about this:

1. You write the album.
    2. You get paid let’s say 10 x $100 = $1,000
    3. The library – do you expect them to sit around and not try to make that back and then some?
    4. What if just one track, just one track gets picked just once, for a Nike spot – $2k…
    5. Over 5 years 6 of the tracks are licensed at an average of $2k each…

No way.

#20218 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

As for opening up doors. Everytime I was told that in my career I got a raw deal in the end. The times people treated me decently were the ones that turned into successes. The only doors that get opened with this kind of deal – in my experience – are the bank’s doors for the library owner.

Sad but true.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: No Sync Fees?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us