Non-Exclusive Question

Home Forums General Questions Non-Exclusive Question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cozyhand3
    Participant

Does anyone know what happens if you have song(s) with a non-exclusive licensing company and they go under? Can you get your songs back? Or, what about if that company sells to someone else? I don’t understand how a non-exclusive can be sold.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Jesse

#30732 Reply
    Dogged
    Participant

I’m not sure I understand your question–non-exclusives are, well, non-exclusive. If the licensee goes under, why would you need to “get your songs back”? You never gave them up in the first place. If they get bought by another company, presumably those non-exclusive licenses would be transferred to the new owners along with all of the original company’s other assets. Again, not an issue for you, right? Is this an academic question, or do you have some specific real-world concerns in mind?

#30733 Reply
    cozyhand3
    Participant

Dogged,
    Thank you. It’s an academic question. That makes sense. Never gave the up anything in the first place. Didn’t think it through enough.
    Sorry. I appreciate your time.
    Jesse

#30736 Reply
    Dogged
    Participant

No problem, we’ve all been there… 🙂

#30748 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Actually, it is a valid question because even if the library that goes out of business was non-exc, what if you now what to sign the track(s) with an exclusive library? You might have an issue because you are not sure whether you can truly enter an exclusive contract. What if there were placements you weren’t aware of? What if there are still hard drives floating around with your track, previously paid for under a blanket license?

Don’t have all the answers but I would definitely be careful before signing any exclusives for the track(s). Of course, if you only wanted to sign non-exclusives, it’s moot.

#30749 Reply
    cozyhand3
    Participant

…Hmmm…this is stuff that rolls around in my head…even if it never happens I wonder about it. I guess it stems from perhaps not knowing a lot about a company as I research and they are on shaky ground and where that would leave me. Maybe the best policy is just stay with NE’s that have a solid reputations:)

Thank you Advice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Non-Exclusive Question
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us