Non-exclusive tracks but exclusive publishing and master rights?

Home Forums Contracts Non-exclusive tracks but exclusive publishing and master rights?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    EdgeW

Hello,

I’m pretty fresh to the library music game and finishing my first album for delivery to a new library. In the agreement it states that all the tracks I’m to submit will be non-exclusive, but that the publishing and master rights are assigned to the library exclusive for the life of copyright.

Like I said I have limited experience here so I’m wondering if this is just another way of saying the tracks are exclusive to this library, or if there’s something more nuanced at play I’m not aware of?

many thanks,
    EdgeW

#34137 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

it states that all the tracks I’m to submit will be non-exclusive, but that the publishing and master rights are assigned to the library exclusive for the life of copyright.

Doesn’t sound much like non-exclusive to me. They may mean that anything they place stays with the life of the project, which would be fairly normal. You need a lawyer to look at the exact wording and it’s implications.

#34141 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

WOW!! They’re “Trying” anything & EVERYTHING right now, aren’t they?!

I’d PASS, probably be offended..

#34146 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

I’m pretty fresh to the library music game and finishing my first album for delivery to a new library. In the agreement it states that all the tracks I’m to submit will be non-exclusive, but that the publishing and master rights are assigned to the library exclusive for the life of copyright.

Sounds like they are confused to me. Anything that (apparently) conflicting in a contract should be dealt with before signing. Or at the very least, clarified, Personally, if it was that confused, I’d probably look elsewhere. If they can’t deal with their own contracts, how good are they going to be at placing your music.

I could be wrong though…..

#34148 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I could be wrong though…..

Just Your Spider Senses kicking in.

I would. MUCH rather be wrong about not signing!!

#34149 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Could be a boilerplate agreement that they neglected to tweak properly.
    Or, and this is something I’ve seen before – they are non-ex, but they want to own the RETITLED name they’re going to use. It’s a bit dumb to ask for the master rights, as that implies a master recording that they’ll own.
    It goes without saying – ask them for clarification. And if possible, report back to us what they say!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #34137 in Non-exclusive tracks but exclusive publishing and master rights?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us