Online Backup Services

Home Forums General Questions Online Backup Services

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tbone
    Participant

Does anyone use an online backup service, e.g. dropbox?

I have been looking at using one the last couple of weeks, but from what I can see they all have major drawbacks. My quick review of the main providers:

Dropbox: can’t upload folders in browser, can’t sync specific folders – only the dropbox folder on your computer i.e. you have to copy EVERYTHING into that folder!

Google Drive: you can upload folders in browser (Wow, only provider to do this), synching apparently patchy, can’t pay annually, can’t pay in anything but USD, can’t pay with anything other than Google Wallet

Skydrive: can’t sync other folders, have to sign in via windows app on your computer for advanced features, can’t upload folders in browser

Amazon Cloud Drive: can upload folders via desktop application, all other features super basic but otherwise looks pretty good

So Amazon looks like the only half decent one.

Besides these, Spideroak looks promising, with good encryption and the ability to sync any folder.

Anyone using anything online to backup?

#12614 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

I forgot to add: there is the chance with any online backup that one day the company just won’t exist, or won’t offer it anymore… does that worry you?

#12627 Reply
    seanm
    Participant

@Tbone – I know that Microsoft has a tool called “synctoy” that allows you to select the source and destination folders you want to sync. you can select any folder in Windows as the source and your Dropbox or Skydrive folder as the destination and also configure when the (local) sync should occur.

Here’s a link to the tool if anyone’s interested:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

I’ve set it up before- it works pretty slick, but I’m now pretty happy with my Mac and local backups and haven’t had a need for it.

Looks like there are some apps like it for the Mac as well- Found “GoodSync” in a search. Same principal.

#12630 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant
    #12631 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Google Drive: you can upload folders in browser (Wow, only provider to do this), synching apparently patchy, can’t pay annually, can’t pay in anything but USD, can’t pay with anything other than Google Wallet

I use Google Drive and pay with a credit card.

#12632 Reply
    bradymusico
    Participant

I’ve made dropbox work for me (with a paid plan of course). However, looks like I might be moving to backblaze! Thanks for that Mark!!!

#12634 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’ve been using Amazon S3 for backup and hosting all my music files. Also use SOS but there is probably something better than SOS.

#12635 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I might add that I have more faith that Amazon will be around a lot longer than some of the other solutions.

#12637 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

My backup is two additional hard drives. Serious question, but why pay for online backup rather then do this?

#12638 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

but why pay for online backup rather then do this?

I do both online and 3 hard drives. Redundancy and paranoia!

BTW one of those hard drives is in a safety deposit box.

#12640 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

My backup is two additional hard drives. Serious question, but why pay for online backup rather then do this?

As Art said – to cover all bases. Fire etc.

#12644 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

Thank you for all the responses.

ChuckMott: hard drives eventually fail and there could also be theft/fire at your property, so ultimately they don’t provide a fail safe on their own.

Art: I agree, it seems more likely to me that Amazon will still be here in 20 years than Backblaze. I guess that’s partly my anxiety though as well..

seanm: Thank you for that info!

Desire_Inspires: I’m not from the US, so paying monthly in USD on my credit card would be very expensive in currency exchange, and if my card is suddenly declined one month it would be a real pain. To be honest, I would have gone with Google Drive no question if it wasn’t for their payment setup.

#12669 Reply
    Danny
    Participant

I love Dropbox for storing files online and sharing with others, but I don’t think of it or the other services you listed as true “online backup” services. If you are just copying project folders, it could work. But from what I understand, none of those provide automated, incremental backing up.

Personally, I would go with something like Carbonite or Mozy. The company I work for during the day offers a solution based on Mozy, and it runs pretty seamlessly.

In fact, I should probably look into this myself, to echo the responses to Chuck’s question, for better redundancy. I use two external HDDs for backups, but online would be nice if something fries ALL my hardware. I think most charge $5-10 a month, and I guess you could think of that as an add-on to homeowner’s/renter’s insurance. If you have a fire, they will probably replace your gear, but they can’t replace your files, which are just as valuable, if not more.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Online Backup Services
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us