Other DAW choices outside of pro tools…..

Home Forums DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) Other DAW choices outside of pro tools…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    ChuckMott
    Participant

It’s time for another Pro Tools upgrade, but now AVID have something akin to a subscription plan where if you pay $200 annually you get all the most recent current uploads. Or have to buy the software all over again. I love pro tools but the constant upgrade path is , for me , getting expensive and somewhat annoying. So point is, I’m looking at the possibility of adding logic pro x to the mix at some point down the road. Maybe do the most recent PT upgrades, because from what I hear PT 11 just has some upgrades worth getting . And making the leap to Logic Pro X. Anyone have experience with making the jump from Pro Tools to Logic? How significantly is the change going to slow me down if I were to do that? Any other recommendations for another alternate DAW that is in the same ballpark as PT? What would be nice is to be able to use, at least for some time, both, as Logic has some advantages in using midi over PT ? Or maybe Apple does something similar and upgrading is just a fact of life….Thoughts?

#22137 Reply
    Trackmaster

I use FL Studio, but I don’t know if that would work for you. Super fast workflow though compared to other DAWs.

#22138 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

A number of software companies are going the subscription route. Cakewalk, East West as well as Microsoft Office. I actually don’t mind as I want those companies to have an incentive to keep developing their software.

#22142 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

I’ve used Pro Tools just a handful of times. I switched from Cubase to Logic about 6 years ago, and am now using Logic Pro X. For what I do, it works very well for me.

#22143 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’ve used Digital Performer for years because it was the preferred DAW of film composers (for composing). I know composers who would compose in DP and record in PT.

I upgraded to DP8 last year for $199 (or more) and they just released DP9 for another $199.

I’ve got Logic 9 and there’s a lot that I like about it workflow wise… maybe enough to consider switching.

As far as price goes, I’m not sure if Apple does “upgrade” pricing.
    I recall the jump from Logic 9 to Logic X was around $199 — not a subscription.

One caveat — if you’ve got a lot of PT plugs make sure that they work in other formats, which may be Audio Units or VST based.

#22147 Reply
    soundslikejoe
    Participant

Cubase. I left Pro Tools after v10, but had been using Cubase too. Love the features…. If you’re more into music sequencing, Cubase is a great alternative to PT.

#22148 Reply
    GM
    Participant

I’ve been a Cubase user for a long, long, long time. Then I tried Studio One by Presonus. Switched immediately, and never looked back.
    The only thing I feel S1 is still missing is a good way to edit articulations. In that respect, Cubase is still number one. But for everything else, S1 – for my needs – is way better (and much cheaper!!). Just my opinion of course.

#22149 Reply
    Aaron Marsden

I switched to Reaper during the time of Pro Tools 7 and I haven’t looked back since. It has been so versatile and time saving for me. You can literally control just about anything in Reaper via the Actions commands menu. Right now, I have it set up to allow me to use a game pad joy stick for selecting and auditioning vocal takes by simply using left, right, up and down arrows. Really nice!

Here is my favorite theme too 🙂
    http://stash.reaper.fm/theme/770/RADO-V4%20ThemePack.zip

#22150 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

I switched to Presonus S1 a few years ago from PT, which I had used for 10 years. I needed to upgrade at that time, but didn’t want to spend the money on PT. I always sort of missed PT, but I find my workflow is faster on S1, and it sounds great. I never had Logic 9, but I bought Logic Pro X for kicks. I can use it, and I like the look of it, and it has some cool plugins and instruments, but for me it’s sluggish at times, and I can’t get used to editing in it. If I have to do a subscription, I’ll keep what I have permanently! Just my POV.

#22151 Reply
    Sean Clark

You can demo Cubase elements without needing their licensing dongle. Ableton Live 9 Suite, Studio one Professional, and Reaper are full version demos afaik.

Trying them out should give you the best perspective. See if you like the workflow. Also if your system likes the application, or doesn’t.

#22156 Reply
    Chuck Mott

I made the jump to Logic. For the record I am moving out of state in a few weeks, for a better work opportunity (yes this is going somewhere). About a week or so I upgraded my Mac to a Yosemite OS, now my pro tools is acting buggy on that system and I can’t open a project that unfortunately had a deadline. Because I am moving, I wanted (actually have wanted for awhile) a more mobile system so I picked up a Mac laptop. Turns out Pro Tools 10 won’t install fresh on yosemite. I don’t know how I could even upgrade it to 11 (11.3 for the record) if I can’t install 10 in the first place. Other then upgrading and getting their support plan. At this point I’m not complaining, just posting my experience. For the record this is the second time I’ve encountered this, when this happened several years ago the computer was also going and I just took a break from recording then . Would have meant new computer, new purchase of operating system, and if I’m not mistaken, a brand new version of pro tools. SO there it is. I’ve never seen this issue posted anywhere else but can’t believe I’m the only one. Kind of concerned because the move, the new system and learnig it all over gain may slow me down a tad writing wise. Getting excited about learning Logic though so It’s all good. Will have to be.

#22157 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

This thread is so relevant for me these day. I am currently in the middle of a switch and to be truthful, the last few weeks have been quite painful, but necessary: Now I am getting the rewards for my efforts.

I have been using Reason exclusively since Reason 3 (before that I was on a hardware multitrack, Roland VS1680) and never touched another DAW (I had a look at Ableton a few years ago more by curiosity than anything else, and was definitely not convinced – the GUI annoyed me tremendously).

THis past month, I have dived deep into DP8, for access to VSTs and film syncing, and now that I can find my way with this DAW, wow, I am having so much fun! I regret some Reason features (I will probably work on setting up a work flow with Reason as a plugin in DP via rewire), yet, the daily discovery of the new power at my finger tips shows me that it is definitely a good move, especially to produce library music. I can’t wait to release my first batch of tracks made with DP!

#22161 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

HI Edouadro,

I highly recommend the video tutorials for DP8 at http://www.groove3.com.

You’ll be amazed a what you can do with DP8 (I juts upgraded to DP9).
    I think you’ll find some answers to you sidechain and routing questions.

Yes, you can connect Reason to DP with ReWire. ReWire also comes in handy for connecting DP to other programs, like Plogue’s Bidule.

_Michael

#22163 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

Hello Michael,

Yes, I agree with you, that is one of the first thing I did when I fired up DP for the first times: the Groove 3 training really helped me get started effectively!

Musical Greetings

#22169 Reply
    guscave

I left PT about 5 years ago and jumped around with Abelton and Reaper on Mac and PC. But 2 years ago I dove into Studio One Artist when I purchased their Audiobox interface and I instantly fell in love with this DAW.

I soon upgraded to their Professional version and I just got version 3.0 with the Arrange window and Scratch Pad.

Like someone else mentioned, the workflow is super fast and the learning curve was easy. It seems like the developers really focus on making a DAW that skips through a lot of time consuming stuff and lets you just get things done quickly.

My 2 cents…. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
Reply To: Reply #22157 in Other DAW choices outside of pro tools…..
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us