Outsourcing Submissions

Home Forums General Questions Outsourcing Submissions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    zebrasteve
    Participant

Has anyone outsourced submitting music to libraries? I am thinking about doing this since I have over 50 songs that I would like to submit to many libraries. And feedback about this with good or bad experiences are appreciated.

#23744 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Changed the topic title for you. Should help with responses.

#23745 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Based on my earnings …. I would need over a 1000 tunes (plus alts) before I would ever dream of paying someone else to it. Who would do it? Would you train someone or try to find a seasoned “tagger” that wants some quick cash? It might not be a bad little side business for someone with the right skillset. I would think it would take doing 25 tracks just to get proficient at it.
    I just got accepted into what I believe is a reputable/established non-exclusive library last week. I have about 150 tracks with alts to submit. Yes, I am dreading the several days of drudgery I’m in for, but I’m working for me so it’s not so bad.

If you don’t already do this, I suggest you make tagging part of the song creation process. I create a word doc with all pertinent info, description, instruments and key word that stay in each tracks parent folder. It works well for me

#23746 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

http://tagsgenerator.com

is useful resource for tagging.

#23748 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

If you don’t already do this, I suggest you make tagging part of the song creation process.

Correct! It took me a long time to realize that. In today’s music world that’s almost as important as creating the music, if you want to be in this part of the business. Besides who would ever run a business without knowing the ins and outs of their business? Handing off that process to someone, without having a good handle on that process, could be a disaster.

BTW I have about 400 cues and I have been going back and re-doing the metadata and titles. I’m always learning and trying new ways to increase sales.

#23752 Reply
    PeteJ
    Participant

This is a question I also wanted to ask. It surprises me that there is no agency model for composers. I would have thought there’d be people about who love the business but aren’t themselves good or prolific composers. Could be an earner. But maybe the payments aren’t high enough to support the business model.

#23753 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

But maybe the payments aren’t high enough to support the business model.

This is a problem that I face as an attorney. With all of the piracy, copyright questions, and contract issues that composers have, it should be a great source of business. But, the sad fact is that the a great number of writers (if not most) simply cannot afford to hire an lawyer.

That said, I echo what Art said. Who knows your music better than you do? It’s an ongoing process in which you constantly refine your data.
    There are several composers, of which I’m aware, who work as a team with their spouse or partner — one does the writing and the other handles the admin.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Outsourcing Submissions
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us