own publishing company?

Home Forums Newbie Questions own publishing company?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Abby

Curious is anyone here acts as their own publisher, or is it better not to claim affiliation with a publisher (be it yourself or anyone else). I keep reading how you are missing out on 50% share of royalties by now being your own publisher.

To confuse myself more, I read on BMI’s info that you don’t need to be your own publishing company, you automatically get that other 50%…

That being said, I read on musiclibraryreport that most of you don’t register your music with your PRO until you know for sure it has a big placement…

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

#21945 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

I’m with BMI, and yes, if you don’t have a pub company of your own, and you get a placement on your own, then you would get the writer and the publisher’s share. BUT if you have your music placed with a library, then 9 times out of 10, THEY are the sole publisher, and depending on your contract, they are entitled to the publisher’s share, and you get the writer’s share. Of course this depends on your agreement with them. Most deals I’ve signed are a 50/50 split. If your song make $100, the library gets the publisher’s share of $50, and you get the writer’s share of $50. But there are many different scenarios. Some libs also take 50% of your writers share, and give the publishing to the TV show. It gets deep fast! So for me, I have a pub company of my own with BMI, but have never used it with any placement stuff, just songs recorded for album releases. Hope that helps you.

#21950 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I have two publishing companies:

One entity is for my works that go into RF libraries. I keep my publishing because I’m also attorney and don’t find the admin or collections daunting.

The other entity is for works of other artists that I publish for TV and /or for tracks for which I had a”co-writer” for TV. I no longer do either, but the tracks are still out there in syndication.

_Michael

#21951 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

The important thing to remember is will you be able to get your music licensed or used.

Having a publishing company does not automatically result in more money. You also have to be able get your music used on your own. Getting music used on TV shows, movies, radio, etc isn’t as easy as one thinks. That is why a good publisher will make way more money for a songwriter than the do-it-yourself method for most people.

50% of nothing is….

#21953 Reply
    gigdude
    Participant

Although most of my placements are through Libraries and they are the publisher in that case, I have had tunes just show up on shows were I was credited with being the publisher. Those tunes were registered by my publishing company so I got paid twice (Pub. and writer). I don’t know how the shows even found the music, I do have some CDs floating around. One tune was on the Jay Leno Tonight show who used 10 seconds off of one of my CDs. I got enough to put a down payment on some new socks for that. I have also been credited with being the publisher by error in a movie. The tune was registered by me and another publisher. I informed the Publisher and they said they would try and fix it and to just enjoy the royalties until then.

#21954 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

Hey Michael,

I have two publishing companies:

One entity is for my works that go into RF libraries. I keep my publishing because I’m also attorney and don’t find the admin or collections daunting.

Although I’m not in RFs yet, I was thinking that when /if I do, I would register the tracks with BMI as composer with no publisher and receive 200%.

What do you feel is the advantage of having a publishing company for RFs (versus receiving 200% as composer without a publisher).

Thanks!

#21955 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Hi Paolo,

I’m not sure that there’s an advantage if you’re just composing…

1) I had my own publishing entity with ASCAP, from when I owned a small record label. When I switched to BMI, I started a publishing company there to move my tracks from ASCAP

2) When I started dealing with other writers, and other publishers, it was important to structure things clearly.

3) On the outside chance that I would ever sell my catalog, it made sense.

4) It makes you appear more “professional.”

Cheers,

Michael

#21958 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

ah..I see what you mean Michael. That you for sharing your thoughts on the advantages.

#21960 Reply
    Abby

This makes much more sense now. Thank you all for your input, this has been well worth the cost to join in for a week.. dangit now I’m probably going to have to up my membership to a year! Too helpful 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: own publishing company?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us