Pay to submit libraries

Home Forums Newbie Questions Pay to submit libraries

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    dwayne00

Hello, I’m new to the site and it looks like a very helpful site so far. My question is what are some of your thoughts on using pay to submit libraries. Sites like sonicbids ad versusmedia ask for memberships or pay to submit. Do you think this is okay to use or a waste of time?

#14401 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

A big NO! There is no reason to pay to submit to libraries.

#14402 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Absolutely not !!!!

#14403 Reply
    dwayne00

So would paying to submit to get a possible placement would be the same thing? I’ve ran into a few sites that do this and I just wasn’t really sure if it was legit or not.

#14407 Reply
    Altauria
    Participant

I do believe them to be the same thing, in principle. There are numerous sites out there that will have you pay a fee for the ‘top dogs’ to listen to your work. It wouldn’t be surprising if many people have gotten success and placements from this. The problem is the general business practice, and how nebulous it is. Of course there is always risk, chance, and a general throw of the dice with any venture, especially when you’re trying to sell something. But with the mentioned practices, there are no metrics, behaviors, patterns, etc. to be measured – at least by the investor (you!). There’s no concrete data. You have more control over your success running a mall kiosk.

Admittedly, I can’t lay any huge experiential claim to this, but it seems logical.

#14416 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I agree, there shouldn’t be a charge to submit for consideration by a library. But, if I’m remembering correctly, some here have had success paying the Film Music Network, which charges users to submit to different opportunities, no?

#14425 Reply
    Steve Ballard

Simply put “Don’t pay to play”. To me it’s more like a lottery. You spend more trying to win than it’s worth.

#14426 Reply
    composer
    Participant

No. Please.

#14427 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

For me, libraries and composers should be on the same boat. We are partners trying to reach a same goal and then we share the cake.

There is hard work involved for both parties. For the library, a part of this work is to screen and select what they want in their catalog. And it is my firm belief that it’s not the responsibility of the composer to pay for the reviewer.

Let me explain why: I also sometimes “shop” for libraries, and make a careful selection in order to optimize my time. Only a few get selected. How would they feel if I asked them to pay me for checking them out? lol! Well this has the same effect on me. If there is pay-to-submit system in place, the library or publisher gets immediately disqualified: If they need money from elsewhere to pay for their review process, that means they are not good enough publishers for me…

#14428 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

I would never pay money directly to a library for submitting my music. As far as 3rd party services go, I stay away from ones where the listing party gets a share of the submission fee. That’s true for one that starts with “S” and one that starts with “B”.

But not all services are bad. I’ve had success through ones starting with “T”, “F”, and “H”.

This is a touchy subject here as Art doesn’t want to discuss specific pay sites on this site. And debates about certain services get heated very quickly. So I won’t go there.

#14578 Reply
    Peter Andersson
    Participant

Do not pay in order for a company to earn money. Its lose-lose for you and win-win for them. Wouldn’t it be more rewarding to have people paying you for your awesome work instead?

#14624 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Just wanted some opinions here. I belong to one of those, and have had a handful of tracks forwarded along. although I hadn’t heard back from those opportunities. I belonged for 2 years, and am up for renewal if I choose o go with it. No they don’t have data on their placement rates or success rates when asked. But they did bring up some valid points: Did you experience a lot of growth as a composer while being a member ? DId you write a lot for genres you may not have written for? WHile I had to say yes to both counts, and did make extensive use of their forums, I am wondering what people’s opinion is to reup or not reup. There are some members of that organization here who have said, or might say, it’s a personal decision and yours alone to make, but I am wondering what a general consensus would be here? Thanks for the input or advice. Might I have , with work, gained the same benefit on my own? I have until the end of April to decide. Thanks for your input.

#14625 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Hey Chuck
    I know Art doesn’t want discussions about specific pay sites on MLR. Unfortunately, these discussions, especially about the company you are asking about, quickly get very heated and ugly.

Not my call… Up to Art.

Best

#14626 Reply
    Chuck Mott

My bad…I don’t think I gave an indication which one, but maybe is apparent in the context.

#14628 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

I would say no to that business model.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
Reply To: Reply #14578 in Pay to submit libraries
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us