Pay to submit libraries

Home Forums Newbie Questions Pay to submit libraries

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

I will add one more thing. I have spoken with Michael over the years and he’s always been pleasant.

Just to be clear…I am NOT that Michael and I have no affiliation with the [removed] company.

Besides, I’m rarely pleasant. 😀

_MichaelL

#28113 Reply
    MaxPower
    Participant

If anyone wants to send me five dollars I’ll listen to your music 😉

#28114 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Just to be clear…I am NOT that Michael and I have no affiliation with the [removed] company.

Besides, I’m rarely pleasant.

_MichaelL

I can vouch for that last statement!! LOL! 😀 (Just razzin ya, my friend!)

#28115 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Yes if you want to be almost absolutely sure if your music might pass muster at these pay to play companies, send me your track and $5 for a prescreen.

#28116 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

ha ha this is how easy it is to make $5 dollars these days 🙂

pre-screening also available here from a less experienced composer 😉

#28131 Reply
    MaxPower
    Participant

Wow it looks like I got competition already – I’ll do it for four dollars!

(is this what they mean by the race to the bottom..?)

#28137 Reply
    cosmicdolphin2
    Participant

These types of screening companies base their whole business model around the fact that the majority of members will fail. And fail repeatedly whilst paying for the privelege. Even better…the only ones to blame for that failure is themselves….it’s ingenious.

That’s why they market themselves so hard….they need a constant churn of new hopefuls to submit to the listings. If all the submissions were great they’d soon have no business as the composers would rapidly outgrow the service.

The profit isn’t in the small minority of members who “make it”…they are just the tip of the iceberg and great marketing copy. It’s in the 80-90% who’s music isn’t good enough and in many cases never will be.

#28140 Reply
    Erik

if i remember clearly, most folks on those pay to play sites are more artist focused than sync focused. only a few had more than 25 tracks tracks on their page and most that ive heard were more full length songs with vocals rather than instrumental cues. Its pretty much a gateway to this field, which is a testament on artists having a few cues in their catalog of mostly singer songwriter songs. i had no clue about music libraries and that theres a way to make money through writing music for picture that didnt depend on insider contacts before i joined. Its when i started getting serious about sync and heavily researched the ins and outs online that i realized paying to play was not the norm. In fairness, its them that got me compelled to even give this a shot. but if i wasnt so impulsive and actually did more research before signing up on a whim I may be in a better predicament in my career at this point.

#28147 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Here’s an article from 2016 that discusses “pay to play,” among other things.

#28157 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Pay to play can definitely be a scam, buyer beware. But, I have to admit I’ve used it cautiously, and in one instance was rewarded quite nicely for my effort. I suppose if I didn’t have that success I’d be blasting the business model. But now, I’m leaning towards saying do your research and be smart about it.

#28154 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

good article. i wouldnt consider the pay for feedback option a scam. if this is being offered by an established top artist working in your genre of music then their feedback can be invaluable. if on the other hand this is a bunch of faceless so called composer/producers with no credits to their name sitting in a bedroom somewhere in cyber space then i would stay well clear.

#28385 Reply
    Gael MacGregor

Any library or service that requires payment in advance of submission should be avoided. It is common and fair that IF your specific work is placed via THEIR efforts that you share in the upfront license fees. After all, they’ve done the legwork to get your work placed and handle the paperwork. No-one should be asking for a fee just to listen to your music. When it comes to back-end/publishing, that’s a different discussion.

#28386 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

I totally respect your opinion, Gael. However, had I never paid for submissions (2 services come to mind), I would never have had the placements I have today. Not looking to re-open the long, painful debate here but there are different ways to skin the cat or at least begin to skin the cat.

#28387 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

and when you say the placements you have today, do you mean top level placements or just placements in general?

#28388 Reply
    Advice

In general. But that does include getting introduced to some pretty darn good libraries that pitch major networks and feature films (and I have had a few network placements as a result). Please understand. I’m not saying services are the ONLY way to get things done. Just that for some of us, they’ve been helpful.

YMMV

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
Reply To: Reply #28116 in Pay to submit libraries
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us