“Plagiarizing” yourself

Home Forums General Questions “Plagiarizing” yourself

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    maxquaini
    Participant

Sounds like a silly one but I was wondering, have you ever found yourself almost “plagiarizing” yourself? Writing at least a couple of songs a week for a few years I realized many times I was closer to that – hopefully not too close, but not even too far.
    Even if you’re trying to keep your composing fresh and original, somehow there’s also a sort of pattern you’re using while composing and some songs might sounds very similar.
    I was wondering if it never happen to you. A couple of times I’ve been balrely composing the same song, maybe the rhythm was a little different and other parts where different as well but mainly thy hook was there.
    What you’re doing in this case? If the song is working fine it’s a shame to modify or even thrash it away.
    Last but not least. did you issued a copyright infringement claim vs yourself?! (Never mind, I’m kidding :))

#39438 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

LOL! All the time. I think, to some degree, it’s unavoidable. Too help avoid this there are many times I find other music I can use as models. By the time I’m finished it sounds nothing like the model or anything I have written before.

#39439 Reply
    PAMMusic
    Participant

Hehe I am very guilty of this. I think when the aim is to produce around 1500 tracks it’s very hard not to!

I think making sure you don’t just rely on the same old software instruments etc for certain genres can help avoid it a bit though.. Keep getting new gear to keep things feeling fresh.

#39440 Reply
    maxquaini
    Participant

Thanks God! πŸ˜€

Art, is refreshing to hear I am not alone, especially coming from an expert like you!

Pam, yeah, it makes sense, actually, very close to GAS pleasing too lol

#39441 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Haha! Of course. πŸ™‚

#39442 Reply
    PAMMusic
    Participant

Pam, yeah, it makes sense, actually, very close to GAS pleasing too lol

Yeah any excuse to buy new gear. Every time I make a sale i say to my wife “See! I did need to buy that synthesiser!” πŸ˜‰

#39443 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Absolutely! I did hundreds of work for hire songs for educational projects over my career. There were times I would stop and think wait, haven’t I written this already?

#39446 Reply
    maxquaini
    Participant

It’s genuinely refreshing to hear we all are on the same page πŸ™‚
    love ya guys, thanks for reaching out!

#39447 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I prefer to call it “re-purposing.” πŸ˜€

#39453 Reply
    maxquaini
    Participant

I’ll save it! :))

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Reply #39442 in “Plagiarizing” yourself
Your information: