Potential Earnings for Commercial

Home Forums General Questions Potential Earnings for Commercial

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    LionWings
    Participant

Hi guys,
    I just saw a track of mine on a Carl Jr’s commercial. It was one of those generic ones where they are showing pictures of a burger and talking about it. I don’t have any experience with commercial placements. Any idea what kind of earnings this might have nowadays? Thanks for your help

#38007 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Depends on network, time of day, length of commercial and how long the run is for. You can get a free Tunesat account to track it and get a better idea. https://tunesat.com/tunesatportal/home

#38024 Reply
    LionWings
    Participant

Thanks Art, I do have a tunesat, but that doesn’t really help me know the answer to the question. I used to think commercials had a larger payout compared to background tv show placements and was just curious what the general ballpark would be these days for a commercial by a popular fast food chain on network television.

#38027 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

It doesn’t matter if it’s a major company or a local body shop as to how much a PRO pays (at least for BMI). Time of day does matter AFAIK but BMI only breaks it down by Cable, Network or Local TV. They only go by how many counts (times it was played). As an example: We had a commercial running that ran mostly on Cable that paid $.775 per play. Network runs paid $14.31 per play and Local TV paid $.58 per play. We also collected publishing income on this so if you are only collecting writer royalties you would cut that in half.

#38054 Reply
    JohnMac
    Participant

Hi Art,
    I signed two songs that Im told have gone into rotation for In store airplay in retail outlets..What kind of revenue could I expect from that type of usage..im told it will be paid onto my Paypal account..any help appreciated

#38055 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Correct me if I am taking this the wrong way. But.. No one got in touch with you to let you know how much it synced for? As well to issue you your percentage of the sync fee?

#38056 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@JohnMac. Sounds like they direct licensed it (no PRO payment). There is very little transparency in this business so your best bet is to ask the library, who placed it, as to what the rate is.

#38060 Reply
    JohnMac
    Participant

Yes Art that was the position..I have e mailed without response in relation to the specifics….Im not sure Beatslinger if you were asking me but there would be no Sync fee as it is Direct licensing..Thank you for responding both

#38063 Reply
    Stuart Moore

@JohnMac In my experience that kind of usage pays as little as $0.0001 per play, up to maybe $0.25 if you’re lucky.

#38064 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Im not sure Beatslinger if you were asking me but there would be no Sync fee as it is Direct licensing..

Hi there JohnMac, this is actually directed towards LionWings. The reason that I am wondering about this is because “for me” this would be quite disturbing that/if a company “like” Carl’s Jr. would be able to grab a usage for something that “should” not have been direct licensed; and in fact should have been an actual licensing with a negotiated sync fee attached.

Somebody had to have made money “somewhere” because this is not a “Network or someone that should have had a subscription account”.

#38090 Reply
    Rhythmscott
    Participant

Congrats on the placement! As Art mentioned, there are 3 factors that PRO’s take into consideration to determine how much you’ll get paid for the commercial: 1. What channel 2. Time of Day, and 3. Number of Plays.

For ads, unlike cues used in a TV show where a cue sheet is filed, length of time does not come into consideration. Doesn’t matter if your music plays for 5s or 60s, in the same ad, both songs would get paid the same amount of money. I had a long back and forth with ASCAP about this recently because I had never heard this and needed to clarify. They assured me length of time doesn’t come into play for commercials. From what I read on BMI’s site, the same 3 factors are used. Length of time is not a factor. Not sure how other PRO’s around the world treat ads but that’s what happens in the states (Carl’s Jr locations)…

My experience from a long running ad, plays can vary from fractions of a cent, $.002, all the way up to multiple dollars per play $2.95 is my highest. Most plays are between $0.02 and $0.30.

One other thing worth mentioning is that US PRO’s do not automatically monitor and pay for music in ads. Go on your PRO’s website and look for the protocol on how to claim royalties from your music playing in an ad. SESAC, for example, allows Tunesat detections as proof, whereas ASCAP requires that you find the ad on Numerator (they’ll hook you up with a free Numerator account) and send them the corresponding Numerator ad code. You will not get paid anything if you don’t follow the protocol.

Hopefully Carl’s Jr. realizes that the ad is selling them a ton of burgers and plays the commercial for years and years to come!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Reply #38054 in Potential Earnings for Commercial
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us