preamp suggestions

Home Forums Hardware preamp suggestions

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    spiker
    Participant

I think its time to buy a really good pre-amp, mostly for miking acoustic guitar and other acoustic instruments. I have an AT4050 mic. Price range is around the $1500 area. Currently I have a Tube MP from Art. Looking for input from you guys.

Thanks!

#29358 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

1) How many inputs are you looking at?
    2) Complete Channel Strip, or simply Preamp?
    3) Tube, or Mosfet/Integrated Circuit?
    4) What Interface are you using, or are you looking for a combo to replace your existing I/O?

#29359 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

I bought a Warm Audio 412. 4 Channels of pre right under your budget. I do mainly acoustic stuff, and the difference from my stock Apogee Duet pres is considerable. More 3D, more analog. I’m also keeping an eye on their Neve 1073 channel strips. You could get 2 channels of pre and eq for your budget. Best of luck!

#29361 Reply
    spiker
    Participant

Beatslinger,

1) 2 channels
    2) Not sure
    3) Prabably solid state
    4) Digi 003 – its old so maybe I need a D/A converter also – depends on the price

#29362 Reply
    spiker
    Participant

Overdub,

Warm audio sounds interesting. I was considering the 1073 by vintech and just looked at WA273.

Thanks!

#29363 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hello Pike60, if you can stay “In The Box” for your processing. I would say The “Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII” is what you need!

With the price, I would also grab a “Rode NTK-Classic!!

I used a AT-5050 for years (very underrated mic) before grabbing U87’s (2) and a U67., The Rode is my go-to workhorse!!

Also, The Warm Audio WA-273 is a great product, but if I’m not mistaken it’s not a Interface..

#29364 Reply
    GoldenEar
    Participant

I agree that the Twin gets you 99% of the way there. Seventh Circle Audio makes amazing preamp clones and the N72 One Shot is only about $650 and comes in a solid desktop unit. Or you can buy their rack and go wild. Addictive stuff, but quality.

#29366 Reply
    UpFromTheSkies
    Participant

For 1 channel, the Warm Audio “Tonebeast” has been like a Swiss Army knife in my studio. Super affordable too.

#29367 Reply
    spiker
    Participant

The twin is new to me. Correct me if I’m wrong, it is a D/A interface and has high quality dual preamps?

#29368 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

The twin is new to me. Correct me if I’m wrong, it is a D/A interface and has high quality dual preamps?

Brother, It’s Universal Audio, and it’s Damn Good!!

#29371 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

I have the old silver apollo quad with the neve 1073 plugin & a vintech 1073….I prefer the vintech but tbh not substancially better than the 1073 plugin

#29373 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Great River is a preamp I have been looking at. How do you like the AT 4050?

#29404 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

If you have a 500 series rack (and even if you don’t, and are willing to get one) one of the best bang for the buck preamps out there right now is the louderthanliftoff Chroma.

https://store.louderthanliftoff.com

Both API and Neve style preamps in one space, with a colour slot for compressors, EQ’s and other tone coloring options, HF/LF EQ and you can use it on your mix bus as well as when you record. I got a couple of em.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Reply #29367 in preamp suggestions
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us