PRO Backend Rates for network and shows

Home Forums Share It! PRO Backend Rates for network and shows

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Happy Ears
    Participant

I wanted add this section so we can have a place to share experiences, opinions and guesstimates regarding backend rates for various networks and shows.

Does anyone have a guesstimate ballpark $ figure for the backend rate per min for Playboy channel? I know it can vary greatly depending on time of days etc. so don’t need no schooling on that but if someone have had any experience I would love to hear an opinion or a guess. Just trying if to determine if its more $0.50 per min or more like $5 per men? Any opinion would be highly appreciated!

#21555 Reply
    Happy Ears
    Participant

bump

#21558 Reply
    soph

I’ve only information on UK channels. This is what PRS pays composers, the BBC pay a yearly figure to PRS.

“PRS also takes time of day into account, so a broadcast in peak time (6pm to 11pm) is worth more than at other times of the day. To give an indication, a one minute play on BBC1 in the evening is worth £69.21, the same on Sky Arts is worth £9.67, or £0.38 on the commercial radio station Pirate FM”

Also with noting, depending on the split, your unlikely to receive all of it!

The playboy channel would be pretty far down the list I would imagine, so the rate is likely to be low, but it depends on how long the usage is. A longer play brings in more money. Often guessing is pointless, just wait for the statement!!

#21562 Reply
    Happy Ears

Thanks for info Soph! In this case I’m just trying to gauge whether I want to score the show or not and /or for the monies being offered. I’ve been looking at a lower paying cable networks such as E! which I have lots of music airing on, then making a guesstimate average on a few hundred placements over the last few BMI statements, giving me an average of about $5 per minute (for writer share only) for E!. As I have no experience with the Playboy channel I’m hoping someone might have scored shows or had placements on that channel and gotten some kinda impression of what an average per minute rate guesstimate (and if that was for writer share only or including publisher share too). Yes I also suspect its a terribly low rate, most likely less than $1 per minute maybe even 0.50 on a guesstimate average, but hoping I’m wrong 🙂 Of course if its keeps airing for the next 10 years, it still might be good but first of all Im looking at how much its could generate during the shows initial run.

#21563 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I would say that if money is the major concern, do not score the show.

Cable usually pays low royalty rates. The rates are based on viewership of the network too. If you want to make more money, score music for networks that have a larger viewership.

Don’t put too much thought into this. The rates for Playboy are low.

#21566 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Okay, enough with the guessing.

BMI has been in negotiations with the Playboy Channel for years and currently does not pay any back end to writers. Don’t know anything about the other PROs though.

#21567 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Back when I was with ASCAP:

Playboy “Girls Next Door” :17 on two airings (34 seconds total) paid $.62

another time, the same :17 and five airings (85 seconds total) paid $6.13

Although I was the only writer, that was for 50% of the writer’s share

…so figure $1.24 and $12.26 from ASCAP for :17 airing multiple times.

But…that was 2005. I’m sure things have changed.

#21568 Reply
    P-9

SESAC does not pay the playboy channel

#21570 Reply
    Happy Ears
    Participant

Thanks so much, you guys rock! Now I’ll gladly give up the publishing share for a higher upfront fee:). Discovering MLR and paying for a lifetime membership is turing out the be one of best investements I’ve ever done in this business!

#21622 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Reply #21555 in PRO Backend Rates for network and shows
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us