PRO inconsistency

Home Forums PROs PRO inconsistency

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    daveydad
    Participant

Why is it a lot of tracks I’ve had placed and received royalties for via my PRO never showed up as cue sheet in my PRO? And then just today, a cue sheet appeared from a show that aired almost a year ago.

#29556 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

well thats good to know that you get royalties not just based on cue sheets. i thought they only placements that appear on the royalty statements are those linked to cue sheets. still a newbie with this.

#29557 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

@daveydad
    Who is your PRO?

#29559 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

BMI member here and i’m only receiving cue sheets for 10-15% of the placements (and payments) i get.
    I don’t know why and,honestly,i don’t care much about it anymore.

#29560 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Same here

#29562 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

any ASCAP members here? what percentage of cue sheets to royalties are you receiving generally?

#29565 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Generally speaking I get paid on all cue sheets I see in my account for TV shows, but have not collected any performance royalties from Big Ten Network cue sheets that are on file. Probably a good 400 episodes of Big Ten Network programming and $0 paid over a 2 year period. Some examples that have never paid:
    BTN FOOTBALL
    ASCAP Series Code: 75662
    BTN LIVE
    ASCAP Series Code: 68006
    BTN MEN S BASKETBALL
    ASCAP Series Code: 82595
    BTN MEN S ICE HOCKEY
    ASCAP Series Code: 82598
    BTN MENS BASKETBALL
    ASCAP Series Code: 81667
    BTN MENS ICE HOCKEY
    ASCAP Series Code: 81668
    BTN SATURDAY KICKOFF
    ASCAP Series Code: 87923
    BTN TAILGATE
    ASCAP Series Code: 88387
    BTN WOMEN S BASKETBALL
    ASCAP Series Code: 82603
    BTN WOMEN S ICE HOCKEY
    ASCAP Series Code: 91775
    BTN WOMENS BASKETBALL
    ASCAP Series Code: 81670

Additionally, Local baseball broadcasts have not paid.

BREWERS LIVE POSTGAME
    ASCAP Series Code: 74805
    BREWERS LIVE PREGAME
    ASCAP Series Code: 74806
    BREWERS SQUEEZE PLAY
    ASCAP Series Code: 75262

I guess ASCAP does not seem to think Sports content is worthy of surveying, nor royalties….I suppose the viewing audience may only be 250,000 to 500,000 folks so ratings are pretty low on these broadcasts, but still…ASCAP should pay us 10 cents every now and again…LOL!!!!

#29570 Reply
    euca

@music1234, Same here with BTN, no royalties for many placements. I am ASCAP also.

NBC sports (versus) seems to be another one. I have tons of cue sheets for mecum auto auctions but have never seen a royalty.

#29571 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

@Music1234

How unfortunate! I’m with BMI and DO receive royalties from Big Ten Network.

#29572 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

@euca

Receiving royalties from NBC Sports (Versus) as well with BMI.

#29573 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

I’ve been getting some small royalties from BTN, too via BMI

#29574 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

I also get royalties from BMI for BTN and NBC Sports (Versus) placements.A few dollars for each placement but at least they pay.
    Not sure why ASCAP doesn’t collect money from these networks.

#29575 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

ASCAP only collects on BTN with a survey. Last time I checked with them (a few years ago), it was something insanely rare, like an eight hour window of time every six months (I probably have the exact details wrong but it’s not an exaggeration). If you had music show up in those eight hours, then you did really well – but made absolutely nothing if you didn’t.

This is one of the main differences between ASCAP and BMI – BMI rarely does surveys. There are a few good things uniquely about ASCAP that keep me with them (segment themes for example), but I’ve definitely seen much less income than my BMI co-writer on the hours and hours of music we’ve had used on BTN.

#29576 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

this is an absolute joke. if ASCAP are well aware of this and know its causing many composers to jump ship and move to BMI why dont they change their system? this has me wishing i never joined ASCAP at the start. if i had of known they were like this for TV placements i would of choose more wisely. i’ve been getting lots of BTN placements recently but its way too soon to know if i’ll be paid for them or not. from the information here it doesn’t sound promising. on the other hand do know of one composer here who has done very well from BTN placements and he is with ASCAP.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Reply #29571 in PRO inconsistency
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us