PRO registration of alts & edits

Home Forums General Questions PRO registration of alts & edits

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

hey folks, are you guys registering alts and edits as separate works or under the main track as an alt title?

#32428 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m registering all versions as separate titles.

I just finished registering all of my versions (well 95%), with alternate titles. A massive job with thousands of titles. Thank goodness for spreadsheets and Excel formulas!

#32431 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

I Figured Art, thanks…getting mixed advise as some folks only register main track and add the alts as an alt title (in BMI),

wow, thats a major undertaking if done manually..does BMI take spreadsheets for importing data?

#32432 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

does BMI take spreadsheets for importing data?

Yes they do.

#32434 Reply
    StevenOBrien
    Participant

I don’t receive much in the way of backend yet, but a few months ago I received royalties for a track that I hadn’t even registered with IMRO, and it still got through. The person who filed the cue sheet didn’t properly write the name in a way that would have exactly matched any of the titles anyway.

I realize it’s a good failsafe to have every title registered if you can, but given how much work it can be, I just wonder how necessary it is now. Have there been many cases where you’ve had royalties not get through because of an alt title?

#32439 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

The person who filed the cue sheet didn’t properly write the name in a way that would have exactly matched any of the titles anyway.

If your name is on the cue sheet you will get paid regardless of the title.

Have there been many cases where you’ve had royalties not get through because of an alt title?

Not the point for me. I want everything registered as I’m thinking more about future proofing all of my music and titles. We are fast approaching the day where PRO registration, music files and all titles are accounted for in one place. IMHO.

#32453 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

hi art, i just checked BMI works registration and cant find any option to import excel…nor do i see an excel template for me to fill out…

#32454 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

hi art, i just checked BMI works registration and cant find any option to import excel…nor do i see an excel template for me to fill out…

Send me a message via the contact form and I will send you the template and info.

#33043 Reply
    mmuser
    Participant

I have a similar issue and I would appreciate any help..

In a few libraries, i use long titles (including extra words in parenthesis…for tagging). while in most of libraries i use only the basic title.
    i.e “Bright Faces (Epic Happy Strings Melancholy Strings Sad)”

I usually heave many edits (8-20). So for each track arising too many potential titles.
    So, i wonder:

1.Could i omit all the words in the parenthesis or it is part of the title which means i have to write the whole title with the parenthesis?

2.Could BMI’s system handle 2-3 different title plus 10-15 alt version for each one of them?

2.Taking into account the above situation, would it be a good idea to register immediately only the tracks/versions i sell (with the exact title it had been bought by the buyer)?

EDIT: I noticed in BMI’s Work Registration Form, there is a “AKA” field for only ONE alternative title and nothing about alt versions (i am not yet in BMI)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Reply #33043 in PRO registration of alts & edits
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us