PRODUCTION vs RF Libraries

Home Forums Newbie Questions PRODUCTION vs RF Libraries

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

With “performance free” you mean a track in a RF library with no cue sheet compiled –> no back-end royalties am I right?

Yes, no chance of any back end payments. If I’m not mistaken some of these libraries require that you are NOT signed with a PRO.

#23865 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

Performance free refers to a library music model in which the music which is sold has no PRO registration and therefore can not receive broadcast royalties (back end). I.e. even if a cue sheet were filed the track would not receive back end because it is not PRO registered.

Performance free libraries market to their customers as being completely free of all royalties and only accept composers with either a) no PRO affiliation or b) specific tracks outside PRO registration (while the same composer may have different tracks PRO registered). According to my understanding b) is technically against the Ts and Cs of some PROS, e.g. PRS in the UK.

What you mentioned – a track from an RF library with no cue sheet submitted – is something that probably happens much too often.. but it’s not performance free. It’s more like an accidentally s*** situation. If the composer chased it down and got a cue sheet filed, then provided it’s within a certain time limit (like a year or so I think) the composer could get paid the backend on such a usage.

I hope that explains it.

#23866 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Performance free refers to a library music model in which the music which is sold has no PRO registration and therefore can not receive broadcast royalties (back end). I.e. even if a cue sheet were filed the track would not receive back end because it is not PRO registered.

In addition to the above, these “libraries” often pay the composer a nominal upfront fee and DO NOT share any future revenue, such as sync fees. So, no sync fees and no backend.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
Reply To: PRODUCTION vs RF Libraries
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us