Pseudonyms? Business name? or real name

Home Forums General Questions Pseudonyms? Business name? or real name

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nadege Composer

Hi guys,

I’ve always been struggling with this. I use Nadege Composer at the moment (Composer isn’t my real last name in case you’re wondering :P). But I’m wondering should I use my real name which would be a struggle for non French speaker, a pseudonym (my middle name is Marilyn, could use it ) or a business name like “something productions”?

What are you guys using?

Thanks

#13105 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Why hide? Build your “brand” (your real name).

#13107 Reply
    Nadege Composer

I mean, my real name is complicate for a non French speaker, no one can pronounce my first name properly (Nadege), my last name even worse. I’m not trying to hide it, just make my name more easy to remember.

#13108 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

A great pseudonym could work.

#13111 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m not trying to hide it, just make my name more easy to remember.

Oh, I see.

#13112 Reply
    Barbie
    Participant

How about something catchy like Nadia Nadege (a bit humorous, too), so if friends or clients Googled Nadege, at least your name/music would appear.

You could also use an alias like Nadia or Nadege as a first name with a last name that is easier to pronounce like Nord, Nay, Noye, or Newville.

I think a proper name would be more exciting than a production company name, just IMO. Good luck!

#13114 Reply
    Wildman

I think Pseudos are very good. I use different pseudos for different markets (Exclusive PRO, Trailer, RF) and even on MLR. I would not have a problem to annonce my real name, which I use as a Live Musician :-), but it is very Ok to use Pseudos in this market, because library/label owners are also searching the net 🙂
    And often, if you work for company A, company B doesn`t want to work with you, no matter how good you are. And with a pseudo you can prevent such situations.
    I always compare this situation with the dresses industry. Adidas sells their products under their name in normal and boutique shops and at the discounter under another name but the products are coming from the same factory.

#13116 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I wouldn’t Anglicize it either, Hans Zimmer, A.R.Rahman come to mind.

#24092 Reply
    seoz
    Participant

I agree. However I see some people use aliases in the RF libraries but put their name in the composer field. So they are still searchable.

In the case you do not put your name or a pro registered alias in the composer field, can you still somehow claim back end royalties if there are any?

I like the branding/segmentation strategy you describe, but not sure if you are giving up on back end royalties when doing this. It would be nice to hear how you solve the back end problem when using aliases and not using your PRO registered composer name/pseudonyms in RF sites.

#24093 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

US PROs allow you to register and use 3 to 5 pseudonyms. I think ASCAP and BMI have different policies regarding the number. I don’t remember off hand.

So, sell your RF tracks under a PRO-registered pseudonym.

#24094 Reply
    seoz
    Participant

Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Pseudonyms? Business name? or real name
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us