Public Forums

Home Forums Commentary Public Forums

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Advice
    Participant

I’m always amazed how many people will trash a library on a public, searchable forum using their real name. It’s not that unusual for a music library owner or even a music supervisor to google your name before working with you. If you show you are a non-professional, many will just not work with you. Other composers– potential collaborators and networking contacts also will shy away from working with you.

Yes, this site is about honest feedback on music libraries. But 2 things…

(1) There is a difference between relating disappointment with a company and outright trashing as I see now and then. And even disappointment, based on unrealistic expectations in this business can sometimes be a problem.

(2) Your reputation matters. When you sign your real name to something it lives on the internet virtually forever. Google is not very forgiving, LOL.

Again, Art created this site so composers can share experiences. Share… But never lose sight of your professionalism and reputation.

Just my 2 cents.

😀 Advice

#8182 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Bump

#8184 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Excellent advice…Advice.

I think professionalism is simply no longer word in many people’s vocabulary. It died along with civility. People confuse aggression, with being aggressive.

But…keep in mind that we are in a global enterprise, and cultural differences, may come into play, as well.

_Michael

#8186 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

And lets not forget GOOGLE  really does have everything tucked away somewhere !!!!

Also, internet forums posts can be misinterpreted , conveying an idea succinctly can be difficult at times, cultural differences definitely do play a part.

Simple things like bad grammar and spelling can convey a negative impression IMHO.

I am not a grammar Nazi, but something that is unreadable would not give me confidence in working with someone. Communication is very important in this business.

#8187 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I am not a grammar Nazi, but something that is unreadable would not give me confidence in working with someone.

Sometimes I feel like I want to be a grammar cop. I never was the brightest bulb in English, grammar and spelling classes but some of the stuff I see really makes me cringe.

#8188 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Grammer and language differences aside, there really are cultural differences when it comes to things like negotiation.

In some cultures being aggressive, argumentative and belligerent may actually be considered a virtue.

Oh wait…that describes practicing law. 😆

#8189 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

It’s usually pretty easy to differentiate between a cultural difference (e.g. someone for whom English is not their primary language) and outright non-professional, obnoxious behavior. And, singing your name to an obnoxious rant against a particular company on a public forum has NO up-side. Only a potential down-side.

Oh wait…. And then there’s lawyers… 😉  (kidding Michael)

#8202 Reply
    Mark Lewis

I recently had a composer contact me with a submission to join our library. At first I told him that I was hesitant to sign him because I had seen him trashing other libraries on public forums. His response to me was to not worry about those libraries because they are “a bunch of wh*res”.
    I couldn’t believe it. I’d like to think that since we are all artists that we might be a tiny bit more enlightened than the rest of the crowd but I am occasionally proven very wrong in my assumption.
    Even though this composer’s music sounded great I did not even respond to his request.

-Mark

#8203 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@Mark. It never ceases to amaze me!

#8204 Reply
    Anonymous

People are just too sensitive these days.

Being a jerk is actually subjective. Some will like it and some will not. But the overall reaction to a certain behavior is based on the power holders or the influencers. If a person goes against the grain and gains favor from the influencers or power holders, most other people will agree and fall in line with that train of thought.

Anyway, it’s just music. There are a million more important things going on than getting rejected by a library or getting a low PRO payment!

#8208 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

“Being a jerk is actually subjective.”

But being professional is not.

“People are just too sensitive these days.”

This has nothing to do with having sensibilities offended. It has everything to do with assessing the personality of a composer that I will potentially have to deal with on a daily basis for the rest of my professional life. If he is calling people names and seemingly  out of control right out of the gate then I definitely do not want anything to with him professionally or financially. I’ve learned to be very careful who I accept into our library based on past experience and as suggested in Advice’s original post I do google all potential composers to see what their internet presence might be.
    Some composers can be very scary when they feel they’ve been slighted in some way. Even simply rejecting a track from inclusion in the library can be the reason for an email filled with hate and vitriol.
    I try to avoid having hate and vitriol in my life whenever possible and I generally avoid people who have a tendency in that direction.

“If a person goes against the grain and gains favor from the influencers or power holders, most other people will agree and fall in line with that train of thought.”

Can you expand on that? I’m not understanding your meaning here.

“There are a million more important things going on than getting rejected by a library or getting a low PRO payment!”

Again.. what?  Should we be discussing Syrian refugees on a music library website?

#8209 Reply
    Anon

Anonymous: My PRO payments and library dealings are among the most important things in my life.  Nice trolling though

#8214 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

Being professional and treat people with respect is among the most important things in music bussiness.
    There is a lot of people that can make music as good as you or play good enogh to get your gig. But there is actually not too many musicians who knows how to run a bussiness.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Reply #8186 in Public Forums
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us