Publisher account needed?

Home Forums PROs Publisher account needed?

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    angopop
    Participant

I’ve read this thread and I’m still unclear. I’m in a similar position — I’m with BMI and I created my own publishing company many years ago with it’s own name, but I can also publish under my own name from what I gather.

So, my questions are: When I’m registering my songs with BMI, should I choose myself as composer at 200% or split it between myself as composer and publisher, 100% each, and why?

And if it is the latter, does it matter if I use my name or the name of the Publishing Company I created?

Thanks in advance,
    A

#16473 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

bump — anyone?

#16474 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@angopop. I’ve always used my own publishing company to assign the publishing income to (unless, of course, it’s with a music library). Seems to me the cleanest way to go. Maybe there is an advantage the other way but I don’t know what it would be.

#16477 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I do everything under my name because that’s what’s easiest for me but I don’t think either way is more correct than the other for simple registrations. To my way of thinking a publisher account would only offer an advantage if I was operating more as a publisher of other peoples work. But that’s just me…

Regardless, the only time I end up with a %200 registration is when I place something directly, which is rare. Otherwise the library, network, or production company ends up with at least a part of the publishing anyway. When I do end up with a track fully registered under my name it automatically goes into my non-exclusive catalog so it usually ends up re-titled with a different split and different registration if I sign it with someone else (non-exclusively) after my direct placement. That %200 registration is only to cover my direct placement. As long as I keep track of everything I never run into conflicts. And if I did run into a conflict I could always re-title my own track and re-register it. No one would know the difference as long as I’m not stepping outside of any exclusive agreements.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Publisher account needed?
Your information: