Publishers with both ASCAP and BMI?

Home Forums PROs Publishers with both ASCAP and BMI?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I didn’t know you could register as DBA without creating some sort of business entity.

Depends on the state you are in and your bank. My bank accepts checks from either of my publishing companies, into my personal account, and this particular bank did not require a dba.

#30321 Reply
    Omar Aponte

I have a question im a member of bmi and im trying to register a work but my publisher is on ascap so im a little confuse on how to fill up the application ill appreciate your response…

#30322 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I have a question im a member of bmi and im trying to register a work but my publisher is on ascap so im a little confuse on how to fill up the application ill appreciate your response…

Your publisher will need a BMI publishing company and you would use that one when you register your song with BMI.

#30323 Reply
    Omar

Thanks a lot…

#32114 Reply
    joel

can i affiliate publishing company name with same company name with different PRO’s

#32116 Reply
    joel

what is required for setting up music publishing company and what after setting up of publishing company???

#32117 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster
    #44612 Reply
    Dave Dougherty

If a song has multiple writers and some are BMI and some are ASCAP and a library is registering the song, does the library register the song with both BMI and ASCAP? And if so, how do they register the splits?

#44622 Reply
    SyncMoodTag
    Participant

Dave
    Publishers generally have multiple publishing companies, one for each PRO in their country. In the US, that would be ASCAP, BMI, and sometimes SESAC. For example, Happy Songs Inc. (ASCAP) and Bight Songs Inc. (BMI). When they register songs, the writer and associated publisher have to be from the same PRO. If a song is from a single ASCAP writer, they will register it with ASCAP with the writer and their ASCAP publishing entity. If it’s from a single BMI writer, the same but only BMI.

If the song has one ASCAP writer and one BMI writer, they will register it with each PRO like this:
    ASCAP Writer (25% of total) / ASCAP Publishing Co. (25% of total)
    BMI Writer (25% of total) / BMI Publishing Co. (25% of total)

Make sense?

#44633 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Yeah, to clarify, when opening a publishing company with BMI (and I presume ASCAP) you will submit your requested name, along with a couple of alternates in case the name is already used – and they will search worldwide for any other companies with the same or very similar names. They want it to be OBVIOUS where the ownership / money streams go. You cannot have the same name. There’s a good chance they might even disallow “firepen publishing 2”.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Reply #30322 in Publishers with both ASCAP and BMI?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us