Publishers with both ASCAP and BMI?

Home Forums PROs Publishers with both ASCAP and BMI?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    ZOBE RECORDS

To be even more clear:

If a publisher is with one US PRO (for example ASCAP) and they try to collect their portion of royalties from a piece of work that has a writer who is with another US PRO (such as BMI), the publisher will not even be able to successfully register that piece of work because you will not be allowed to do so. Your current US PRO will let you know that you can’t register it and they will tell you that “An ASCAP party cannot be linked to a BMI/SESAC party within the same entitlement chain.” Therefore, they make a publisher have to register with multiple US PROs if they are going to be working with talents from different PROs. That is why many publishers join more than one.

#29002 Reply
    Godwin

need Your advice. I have a publishing company [firepen publishing] I’m already with ascap as a publisher. And I’m with BMI as a writer. I’m in the process of opening an account with BMI as a publisher. Can I open it with the same name[firepen publishing]?

#30286 Reply
    Robert

I know this topic has been dropped a long time ago but I have the same question as Godwin above.

1. Do you have to have a different publisher name for ASCAP and BMI?

Context: I am registered on ASCAP as a writer and publisher. I am also looking to register under BMI as a publisher but found a line on BMI’s website that says “you must establish a publishing company that is affiliated with each society that represents one of your writers, and each of these companies needs to have a different name.”
    (https://www.bmi.com/news/entry/how_to_start_your_own_music_publishing_company)

This last part that says each company needs to have a different name is confusing to me. If I create a different company name with BMI then how do I then register my business with the Secretary of State? Do I have to register two businesses?

Any help you can send is greatly appreciated!

#30289 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

AFAIK you will need a BMI writer in order to register a BMI publisher. You are already an ASCAP writer so you can not join BMI as a writer. Once you have a BMI writer (spouse?) your publisher name must be different than the ASCAP name.

I did not register my publisher names with CA Sec. Of State. I did do a DBA for banking purposes.

#30294 Reply
    Robert

Ok, good to know. I didn’t know you could register as DBA without creating some sort of business entity. I appreciate the help!

#30298 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I didn’t know you could register as DBA without creating some sort of business entity.

Depends on the state you are in and your bank. My bank accepts checks from either of my publishing companies, into my personal account, and this particular bank did not require a dba.

#30321 Reply
    Omar Aponte

I have a question im a member of bmi and im trying to register a work but my publisher is on ascap so im a little confuse on how to fill up the application ill appreciate your response…

#30322 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I have a question im a member of bmi and im trying to register a work but my publisher is on ascap so im a little confuse on how to fill up the application ill appreciate your response…

Your publisher will need a BMI publishing company and you would use that one when you register your song with BMI.

#30323 Reply
    Omar

Thanks a lot…

#32114 Reply
    joel

can i affiliate publishing company name with same company name with different PRO’s

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Publishers with both ASCAP and BMI?
Your information: