Publishing Question

Home Forums General Questions Publishing Question

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PeteJ
    Participant

I’m wondering how the system works for published music. Two questions…

Do the PROs treat back-end sync royalties the same as other income and split it between publisher(s)/artist(s) as per the registered deal and then distribute the dosh accordingly?

Do publishers submit works directly for their own catalogue? Or can the artist/producer submit it and just note the publisher info? Would it make any difference?

Oops. That’s three questions. Thanks for any help on this.

#24184 Reply
    Paolo

Do the PROs treat back-end sync royalties the same as other income and split it…

regarding your first (and some of your second) question:

helpful to think about it this way — sync licensing = front end. You get paid upfront a percentage of the sync fee. You’ve agreed to this percent with the person(s) you’re allowing to license your music. No PRO is involved. Royalties = backend. Your PRO pays the writer and publisher fter the music has aired. PRO pays your pre-agreed upon percentages between writer and publisher.

#24193 Reply
    PeteJ
    Participant

Thanks Paolo. Very clear. I thought this would be the case, but the business is weird sometimes and I take nothing for granted.

Where there is a label, a publisher and an artist, would it normally be the label, as owner of the recording, who places the music and collects any sync fees?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #24193 in Publishing Question
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us