Questions about BMI royalty statement

Home Forums General Questions Questions about BMI royalty statement

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ljnevs
    Participant

Hi all! Apologies if this isn’t posted in the right forum. This is my first day as a member of this website. But anyways, I’m very confused that in quarter 2 I got a payout of $90 and just got my quarter 3 payout yesterday of $50. The reason I’m confused is because my total Spotify “count” for the song for quarter 2 was around 500,000, and my total count for quarter 3 Spotify was about 200,000. The song I’m referring to only has 1,020 total streams since 2017 though. It also says under “use”: “FF” which I don’t know what that means. Did BMI just mess up my statement? Did this song somehow get added to a popular podcast on Spotify? I’m so confused…

#39514 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Probably best to contact BMI with that question.

#39520 Reply
    Dannyc

i’m more surprised you’re expecting a decent payment from back end for spotify streaming. didn’t think that existed.

#39521 Reply
    Ljnevs

I’m not expecting more money, I was surprised I got THAT much money considering my song has barely been streamed. I consider a $90 payout from Spotify pretty damn good haha

#39526 Reply
    Chango
    Participant

Yea that definitely sounds like a question for BMI. Speaking of BMI Statements, did anyone else notice a drop in domestic royalties but an increase in international royalties for this 3rd quarter payout?

#39527 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

did anyone else notice a drop in domestic royalties but an increase in international royalties for this 3rd quarter

Same here.

#39528 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Speaking of BMI Statements, did anyone else notice a drop in domestic royalties but an increase in international royalties for this 3rd quarter payout?

Yes. Big time.

#39529 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Yep. I noticed the drop in domestic royalties and increase in international royalties.

#39533 Reply
    Chango
    Participant

Interesting…I wonder what that domestic royalty drop was all about. I’m fairly new to BMI after switching from ASCAP but the drop seems a little strange since it’s all across the board.

#39534 Reply
    Chango
    Participant

I was looking to finally get paid for alot of 2021 March Madness placements on the CBS Sports network but I noticed none of those royalties showed up on my statement. Hopefully BMI pays out for placements on the CBS Sports Network. Maybe next statement.

#39535 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

I’m fairly new to BMI after switching from ASCAP

I think you will find that BMI does as BMI feels like doing in terms of amounts… No Rhyme or reason, but if you have performances on any particular quarter – they should show up on THAT quarter. As mentioned above, how much they pay out is a completely different topic.

#39536 Reply
    Chango
    Participant

Got it. Well, I know if those performance royalties don’t show up on our next statement…forget about it.

#39539 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

alot of composers i know have reported the same that their international payments were way up this quarter and domestic way down. personally i saw my domestic best so far and international was about a 1/4 of them.

#39541 Reply
    jdt9517
    Participant

did anyone else notice a drop in domestic royalties but an increase in international royalties for this 3rd quarter payout?

Definitely. In one case the US performance was .09. The Gt. Britain performance was $2.63.

#39543 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Perhaps the drop is related to the change in the distribution schedule. We received 5 payments in 2021 instead of four. It could be that this is a one-time event resulting from the change.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Reply #39539 in Questions about BMI royalty statement
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us