Questions on edits…..

Home Forums Newbie Questions Questions on edits…..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

It took me a while to realize it but music is not like milk.
    A quart of milk should cost less than a gallon of milk.

But a perfectly edited piece of music that the customer loves only saves them money in audio editing. It is worth more than the full length track at the point.

Music is not like milk 🙂

#17889 Reply
    yzzman1
    Participant

Awesome analogy!

#17936 Reply
    AaronM

I feel inspired now! 🙂 This is an area I’ve been completely overlooking. To date, I’m at about 35 tracks with sales here and there and almost ZERO edits. Now I’m really starting to think about the possibilities.

#17938 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

It took me a while to realize it but music is not like milk.
    A quart of milk should cost less than a gallon of milk.

But a perfectly edited piece of music that the customer loves only saves them money in audio editing. It is worth more than the full length track at the point.

Mark,

That’s a great way to look at it. I have to thank you for this perspective!

#17939 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Thanks Mark (and Art) for the perspective. Yes took me a minute to wrap my head around that system but yes 2 I’m in both have a way of packaging the music that way. It never occurred to me to do it that way there, thinking collections were simply for various , for example , rock tracks. Thanks for that, now I’m thinking if you are going to spend the extra time doing the edits, doesn’t make sense not to also sell the “packages”. Great idea.

#17941 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

sold a stinger today,my latest 4 sales are all edits.Considering i’ve only started uploading edits in late July it’s very promising.

#17942 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

lol!
    I’m telling you, everyone should be doing edits.

Some composers think negatively about the time it takes to do them but if you consider that you only do them once in your life (you don’t have to keep recreating edits for every sale) then it is actually a long term investment rather than an hourly time consideration.
    It is a one time investment of 30 minutes or so that will pay off forever, like a 401k.

#17949 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Yes, I sell at least as many edits to date as I do full tracks, especially stingers. am considering putting together some packages of just stingers also. I basically do the 15-30s-60s and beds, and sometimes loops. This last track I put up a “condensed version” version of the track,and some loops within. Now packaging everything altogether as a separate package, that is something I’d not considered.

#17951 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Some composers think negatively about the time it takes to do them but if you consider that you only do them once in your life (you don’t have to keep recreating edits for every sale) then it is actually a long term investment rather than an hourly time consideration.

Editing might be be harder for composers who are playing a lot of tracks live, like guitar overdubs. For writers sequencing in a DAW editing is a piece of cake, especially if you think of edit points while you are writing. That way you’re not forcing things to fit.

Note: I’m not talking about cues, not songs with lyrics.

#17955 Reply
    Mark

Another suggestion to add to your list of edit types would be a ‘No Melody’ alt mix.
    Editors love these as they can easily go back and forth between the two mixes to duck out the melody when someone is speaking.

#17956 Reply
    Mark

Editing might be be harder for composers who are playing a lot of tracks live,

I really don’t think it is. Editors used to use a razor blade to physically cut tape to make edits. With all the options we have at our fingertips now there is no excuse not to make edits, whether it is with live music or sequenced or both. You can crossfade, adjust time on an ending, place your ending and make your cut in the middle somewhere, there are tons of tricks and tools.
    I was a music supervisor and audio editor at Mutato Muzika in another lifetime. I know of what I speak.

#17957 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

Good point about the “No Melody/No Lead” version,i’ve heard it’s also called “Narrative” version and more & more people/libraries ask for them.And this is a very easy edit to do,in comparison with 60/30 edits!

#17958 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Editors used to use a razor blade to physically cut tape to make edits.

I know. I spent many years cutting music and FX tracks on a Steenbeck for films in the 70’s and 80’s.

I don’t think it’s physically harder, but perhaps conceptually harder. Often when I do an edit in a DAW, I don’t just make a cut. I alter the composition so that the cut makes sense within the structure of the cue. That’s easier to do on the midi level than the audio level.

#17961 Reply
    Mark

As long as you have a clear beginning and a definite ending then you should be able to get everything you need directly from the final audio (in regards to 15/30/60 edits)
    The only thing that might need to be created separately are the stings.
    The alt mixes are of course no brainers.

I don’t agree at all that having live audio in your music will make your music harder to edit.

#17962 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I don’t agree at all that having live audio in your music will make your music harder to edit.

It doesn’t. I do it all the time.

But, there are edits, and there are “edits.” Some work well musically, and some are just butchered.

I meant that some people might be uncomfortable editing a live performance. They shouldn’t be. It just takes a little practice to do edits well, and make them work.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
Reply To: Questions on edits…..
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us