Quick Question about Edits and Stems

Home Forums Newbie Questions Quick Question about Edits and Stems

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    HaynesMusic
    Participant

Hey folks, a quick question. I understand that it’s good practice to do 15/30/60 second edits for your music, and also to give stems.

My question is – do I also need to supply stems for the edits, or just the main version?

#28488 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

The library would let you know. I’ve not had one ask. And I wouldn’t worry about stems in RF. But I do think that maybe I should also provide bed versions of my 15-30-60’s.

#28489 Reply
    HaynesMusic
    Participant

Thanks Chuck. Phew, it might have taken me a while to everything!

#28498 Reply
    naudio
    Participant

I’ve been providing bed versions of my 15-30-60s edits in RF market and they sell regularly. So at least in RF it’s been worth the effort.

#28500 Reply
    HaynesMusic
    Participant

Thanks Naudio. Okay, perhaps I’ll give it a go and see how long it takes me for each one!

#29272 Reply
    El Kapone

Hey guys, all good?

I’m new here and I have two little questions, I wonder if you could help me?

What are Bed Versions, and what is Retiteling?

Thanks in advance

#29273 Reply
    El_Kapone
    Participant

Hey guys, all good?

I’m new here and I have two little questions, I wonder if you could help me?

What are Bed Versions, and what is Retiteling?

Thanks in advance

#29276 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

“Bed Versions” are (loosely) alternate mixes with no melody and minimal “movement” type parts that can (potentially) distract listeners while the music is being used under dialog. They are typically quite “generic” sounding. Also referred to as Alternate versions, Mix Minus versions, TV mixes, etc..

GENERALLY speaking — Retitling is most likely to occur when you retain the ownership of the master recording AND the copyright (publishing) and assign the song to a 3rd party – typically a music library or publisher – NON exclusively. At which point they “retitle” the song and take the publishing on the re-titled version (which is identical to your retained version BTW) that you assigned to their library / publishing company. That allows them to make money (publishing rights) on their placements of your song – while you can still make the publishing royalties on YOUR placements of your song in other venues. IMO, this is a fair and equitable deal as it keeps your property yours, and allows them to make back end royalties (primarily due to their publishing ownership) on songs you can use elsewhere to make you money. This negates having your music locked up in perpetuity with a library that can’t move it successfully.

This is pretty straightforward – UNTIL – you have a dozen re-titles of the same song, all of which are with active publishers / libraries, and one or more tries to monetize youtube video’s via adRev. That’s when re-titling gets ugly. Hopefully we will move away from fingerprinting and on to watermarking soon, and then these types of “problems” will all become moot.

#29277 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hello to all!
    I get this a lot, and usually are doing about 7-10 versions with different edits..

I say, “Do whatever (within reason) it takes to give them everything they need to make that money!!”

#29308 Reply
    El_Kapone
    Participant

@LAwriter thank you for your very informative post!

Cheers!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Reply #28489 in Quick Question about Edits and Stems
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us