Re-using part of a track for a new production

Home Forums Newbie Questions Re-using part of a track for a new production

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    A_Mas
    Participant

So, as you probably imagined, I’ve been a composer for a while but I’m very new to the music library game. Thank you for the website, it’s a great resource and I’ve been a happy member for a few months now.
    I was wondering how is seen (or if it is even allowed) to re-use parts of a track to generate new tracks.
    I’ve been thinking several time while composing production music to change completely the arrangement of something, to reuse a piano riff, to do a remix of something and register the newly created track under a new title. Is it allowed? Is it a bad practice? More importantly, is it doable in the scenario of a track that is signed exclusively to a publisher? That is, to change it so that it can be signed non-exclusively by another one and vice versa.
    I’m not talking about slight changes, I’m talking about entirely new production but same melody, chords, maybe even re-using exactly the same track but layering others on top.

I never did it, but I must say the temptation was high at some point.

Thank you!

PS am I correct assuming that this is not what “retitling” is about? Studying your website and a few other resources I think I understood that retitling is referred to a publisher re-registering the same cue under a new title to collect publishing royalties when they are under a non-exclusive agreement.

#26610 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m talking about entirely new production but same melody, chords, maybe even re-using exactly the same track but layering others on top.

I think it could get dicey but really depends on what you think is “acceptable” and the library you infringed upon thinks is “acceptable”. If there was a lot of money involved it wouldn’t take much for the library to decide to sue. Your call.

PS am I correct assuming that this is not what “retitling” is about?

You are correct.

#26612 Reply
    A_Mas
    Participant

Fair enough, it makes perfect sense and it’s probably not very correct to do in first place.

Thank you for your help Art

#26615 Reply
    A_Mas
    Participant

What’s the situation with non-exclusive deals?

#26617 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Non-exclusive not much of an issue except a library might not like too many tracks sounding very similar with the same parts.

#26654 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

If I spend a lot of time on a drum part I almost always reuse it. Especially so if there are good fills and a nice groove. But I will change the key, tempo, sometimes use a different drum kit and even make it an entirety different genre.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Re-using part of a track for a new production
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us