Reality TV show payout?

Home Forums General Questions Reality TV show payout?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    P-9

Of the 30 episodes on Reelz I have cue sheets for, only 5 have ever paid.
    3:30 in prime time paid 84 cents.

#16368 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Wow, that’s depressing…

#16369 Reply
    Jay

That is like hoping to win the lottery. Songs don’t really catch fire in the library world. It’s not like pop music where someone always has a “hit.”

If you want to make $50,000? Then write 1,000 usable pieces of music and try to make $50 each…. some variation of this formula.

Michael..it turns out my songs are “useable” in the library world…I don’t write cues or dumb down my lyrics for hopeful placements either..and I get how the business works,I’ve been at it a while..I considered writing disposable music as some call it but it didn’t feel right and $50 grand isn’t what I’m after…I write songs and lots of them..ultimately I’d like to get some movie placements but until then I’ll ship them off to the libraries and they’ll make me $ (they have up until now)…to me “catching fire” simply means lots of placements and my last batch of songs submitted 2009/10 did in my opinion…I get just as much of a thrill out of someone downloading a song of mine as I do when I get a placement..both are important to me..I could be wrong but I’m assuming not everyone here simply writes for libraries and placements..then again maybe I am the only one?

#16370 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Wow, that’s depressing…

Please don’t take this the wrong way daveydad. But…did you think that something like this would pay a lot more? If so, how much more?
    And…how did you get the impression that it would pay a lot more?

I think part of the “flood” in this business has been caused by the mistaken impression that there’s easy money to be made, and a lot of it. So, I’m really curious to understand what the source and/or sources of that impression may be.

#16371 Reply
    Chuck Mott

I agree David, think more along the lines of a starting point. COngrats on the placement. The fact that you are placing stuff, even on YT vids that are going viral, is at least a sign that things are starting to take off for you ( I’m familiar with David from elsewhere).

#16372 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Yeah, certainly not complaining… but I at least thought the payout would be dollars and not cents. Seems like I can make more on cheap RF sites than doing reality TV. 🙂 And… still waiting to see how/if that viral video pays off! 😉

#16373 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I could be wrong but I’m assuming not everyone here simply writes for libraries and placements..then again maybe I am the only one?

No, you are right Jay. There are a lot of people here who write for other reasons. That’s fine.

On the other hand, for those who compose every day, and invest thousands of hours and dollars into their profession, it is about earning a living. It’s our job.

#16374 Reply
    twirl
    Participant

It is really a hit and miss business. In my last SOCAN statement I got $1000.00 for ONE placement on a MTV show. How this happened I’ll never know, right next to this was another MTV placement that paid 75 cents!

As I accumulate larger catalog and get more placements the chances of this happening will increase. And its more fun than flipping burgers.

#16375 Reply
    Jay

On the other hand, for those who compose every day, and invest thousands of hours and dollars into their profession, it is about earning a living. It’s our job.

It’s a big part of my living as well and I write/record daily (after working a day gig)..so much so that I wore out my standalone DAW last night, buttons shot etc. and have to buy something new.I write to hopefully create something great and to make $.I tried living off just my music $ last summer but it wasn’t enough quite yet…especially with most of the $ being made on the back end..maybe someday…and that’s what I strive for.

#16376 Reply
    Jay

I think part of the “flood” in this business has been caused by the mistaken impression that there’s easy money to be made, and a lot of it. So, I’m really curious to understand what the source and/or sources of that impression may be.

IMO it’s certain companies (or a) certain company that Art would rather not have mentioned here…I think you can figure it out 🙂 from where I stand they paint a rosier picture than actually exists in the business and a lot of people are taken in by that.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 32 total)
Reply To: Reality TV show payout?
Your information: