Recommended Keyboard Software?

Home Forums Software Recommended Keyboard Software?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jay

first of all I use mostly real instruments and am a novice to a lot of music

software with the exception of EZ drummer – I have an older keyboard with dated

sounds and need to get sounds that are a bit fresher for my recordings and

possible scoring work – please recommend anything you’re happy with –

cheap/freeware/pay software whatever you got – i’m looking for all sorts of

sounds Piano/strings/Hammond/Fender Rhodes/other instruments – also will I need

a controller for this sort of stuff or can I use my keyboard (midi) or even my

computer keyboard? – again i’m a novice w/software..thanks

#6618 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

TBH this is not the type of forum to ask this question, the answer is so vast these days and there are so many variables. If everybody here gave you a list of what they recommended and used, you would be more confused. Gearslutz is probably best for this type of thing as they have many different sub forums, covering a lot of bases.

#6625 Reply
    Jay

Ok thanks…but could someone answer this or at least tell me on the right page – I have an older midi keyboard (a cheapie) Yamaha PSR-195 – I plan to connect the midi out to my computer USB in right? – I would then use the keyboard (yamaha) as a controller to play the sounds on keyboard computer software right? – believe it or not I’ll sometimes want to go out of the computer into my Korg D888 to play along with other tracks (that’s what I normally record with but I do have Audacity and Reaper as well) – Using the headphone jack I can do this but will it hurt sound quality? – is there a better way?

and again before I buy a midi cord I just need the midi out (from yamaha keyboard) to the USB in (computer) right? – I’m assuming I won’t need a cord going back to the keyboard (yamaha) for the midi in..again is that correct?

thanks in advance and I know this is midi 101 for most of you…but again i’m a novice on midi stuff..jay

#6626 Reply
    Jay

one more thing if it matters – the laptop is an HP Pavillion G Series with the 17″ screen and the Korg D888 has a midi out port but I have no idea what that is for? – thanks

#6627 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Jay

You have too many issues to be dealt with here, first of all your Yamaha PSR-195 does not have usb out, just a midi out so you would need a separate midi interface. I would go to your local music shop and explain in detail what you require. The info you get here will not help you in the short term.

#6628 Reply
    Jay

thanks…after doing a little research I realized what I was trying to do with that keyboard was a little ridiculous.. – jay

#6635 Reply
    discostu
    Participant

M-Audio make a cord that is Midi in and out on one end and usb the other end so that would work. It’s what I use.

#6636 Reply
    Jay

that’s what I was thinking but don’t I need the separate midi interface mentioned earlier in this thread? – jay

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Reply #6627 in Recommended Keyboard Software?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us